Oregon, Marion County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Oregon, Marion County Records, 1849-1976
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Marion, Oregon, United States|
|Flag of Oregon|
|Location of Marion County, Oregon|
|Location of Oregon|
|Record Type||County Clerk Records|
|County Clerk Office, Salem, Oregon|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?Edit
This collection includes birth, marriage, land and property, probate, naturalization, tax and old age pension records from the Marion County Clerk. It cover the years 1849 to 1976.
To Browse This CollectionEdit
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Marion County Records, 1849-1976.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?Edit
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
|Land and property||Chattel mortgage||1893-1901|
|Land and property||Chattel mortgage index-direct||1877-1908|
|Land and property||Deed index-direct||1855-1976|
|Land and property||Deed index-indirect||1855-1976|
|Land and property||Deeds||1854-1920|
|Land and property||Deeds, land grants||1869-1912|
|Land and property||Miscellaneous deeds, land grants||1858-1906|
|Land and property||Mortgage||1855-1922|
|Land and property||Mortgage index-direct||1855-1975|
|Land and property||Mortgage index-indirect||1858-1976|
|Land and property||Old mortgages and chattels||1858-1908|
|Land and property||Satisfaction of mortgages||1897-1909|
|Land and property||Warrant and claim register||1934-1936|
|Naturalization||Petitions with evidence||1854-1914|
|Probate||Court register index||1860-1881|
|Tax||Delinquent tax list||1883-1884|
|Tax||Tax assessment rolls||1895|
|Vital||Delayed birth certificates||1865-1909|
|Vital||Marriage affidavits and consents||1863-1874|
|Vital||Marriage index male||undated|
|Vital||marriage license application||1953-1960|
|Vital||Marriage license medical certificates||1944-1957|
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Oregon marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?Edit
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of the event
Search the IndexEditSearch by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the ImagesEdit
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, Volume to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?Edit
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?Edit
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?Edit
- Use the probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- For earlier years, use the probate record or will to substitute for civil birth and death records
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Use the information found in the record to find probate records
- Search for death or burial information in BillionGraves Index or at Find A Grave
- If applicable, search for immigration and naturalization records as well
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?Edit
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Oregon.
Citing This CollectionEdit
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?Edit
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.