Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche from a Family History Center
Introduction to FHCs Ordering from a FHC
How to order films to view at a Family History Center (FHC)
Depending on where you are located in the world, there are presently two procedures for ordering a microfilm into a Family History Center for use. One method is an on-line procedure; the other is an older, paper process requiring a visit to your local FHC. Over time the on-line process will be offered globally.
Both methods require you to have the microfilm/fiche number you desire to use in a FHC. Staff at the FHC can assist you in locating the proper microfilm/fiche number. You can also use the on-line Family History Library Catalog to select the correct number. How to use the Family History Library Catalog.
On-line film ordering
In countries where on-line film ordering has been introduced, you can use any computer with an internet connection to place a film order.
You can order films on the FamilySearch Microfilm Ordering Page. If you enter your location and no FHCs come up in the search, you are not yet in an area where on-line film ordering is available.
- Instructions for online film ordering:
- Please follow the on-screen instructions to create an account, select your "favourite" FHC and commence placing orders. The periods of loan available, along with the corresponding loan fees are shown on the websites. Payment is made using credit/debit cards, or in some instances via a direct debit.
- Staff at your favourite FHC will contact you when your film has arrived and available for your use.
In-person film ordering process
Having identified the microfilm/fiche numbers you would like to see, you can request a copy be loaned to a FHC. A nominal fee is charged for the loan. The FHC staff will place the order. When the film arrives, you can go to the FHC and view it. Ask the staff at the FHC for current fees and ordering procedures.
There are three ways to find the nearest FHC:
- Go to the www.familysearch.org web site. Type in your city.
- If you live in North America, call 1-866-406-1830.
- If you are in an area where online film ordering is active, you'll be able to select the FHC when you order the film.
Each FHC is staffed by local volunteers who can show you how to search for records of your family.
Each FHC has unique hours of operation, so be sure to telephone your local FHC for their scheduled hours before you visit.
Length of Order
You can order the microfilm for two lengths of time:
- Short-term loan - With this loan, films must be returned within 90 days. A 60-day renewal option is available after your short-term loan expires.
- Indefinite loan - The film will remain at the FHC indefinitely.