Orange County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Orange County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Orange County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||October 18, 1785|
|Address||Orange County Courthouse|
5 Court Street, PO Box 95
Chelsea, VT 05038
Orange County Website
- 1 Description
- 2 Orange County, Vermont Record Dates
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Description[edit | edit source]
The County is located in the east center area of the state. 
Orange County, Vermont Record Dates[edit | edit source]
|at town creation||at town creation||at town creation||1781||1771||1771||1790|
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from 1781 and land records from 1771; Probate Judge has probate records from 1771.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
West Fairlee 1779
Williamstown 1781 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
- 18 October 1785, Addison County set off.
- 5 November 1792, Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties set off.
- 1 November 1810, part of Jefferson County set off (renamed Washington County 8 November 1814.)
- 26 October 1835, Lamoille County set off.
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
- Wells River
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VTTombstone Project||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
A transcript of the 1771 census of Gloucester County, New York survives:
Church[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Regiments and Companies:
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
Orange County Probate Districts
- Randolph District - Braintree, Brookfield, Chelsea, Orange, Randolph, Tunbridge, Washington and Williamstown.
- Bradford District - Bradford, Corinth, Fairlee, Newbury, Strafford, Thetford, Topsham, Vershire and West Fairlee.
- Orange District - in 1994 the Randolph and Bradford Districts merged under the Orange District.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Town Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- 1732 - 2005 Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850 - 2005 Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Historical Societies[edit | edit source]
Bradford Historical Society
Woods Academy Building
172 North Main Street
PO Box 424
Bradford, VT 05033
Braintree Historical Society
2766 Braintree Hill Road
Braintree, VT 05060
Brookfield Historical Society
Marvin Newton House
PO Box 447
Brookfield, VT 05041
Chelsea Historical Society
Route 110, Main Street
274 East Randolph Road
Chelsea, VT 05038
Corinth Historical Society, Inc.
Corinth Academy Museum
1767 Center Road
Corinth, VT 05039
Fairlee Historical Society
75 Town Common Rd
PO Box 95
Fairlee, VT 05045
Newbury Historical Society
155 Tyler Farm Rd
PO Box 33
Newbury, VT 05051
Telephone: 816-233-7687 or 802-757-2256
Thetford Historical Society
Historical Library: Bicentennial Building
16 Library Road
PO Box 33
Thetford, VT 05074
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Orange County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog FamilySearch Catalog for Orange County
- The Orange County VTGenWeb Project, a member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Orange County
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Orange, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, Vermont . Page 698-699 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 686-687.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists, 181.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- Harry Macy, "Newtown Census of 1771," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 117, No. 1 (Jan. 1986):8. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 117. The original census records were destroyed in a 1911 fire at the New York State Library.