Difference between revisions of "Orange County, Vermont Genealogy"
(county boundary map; feel free to delete)
(CW Data from Excel)
|Line 99:||Line 99:|
==== Military ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Revision as of 02:17, 7 December 2013
Guide to Orange County Vermont genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Orange County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||October 18, 1785|
|Address|| Orange County Courthouse|
5 Court Street, PO Box 95
Chelsea, VT 05038
Orange County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Town clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial and land records; County clerk has divorce and court records from 1781 and land records from 1771; Probate judge has probate records from 1771.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
West Fairlee 1779,
- 18 October 1785, Addison County set off.
- 5 November 1792, Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties set off.
- 1 November 1810, part of Jefferson County set off (renamed Washington County 8 November 1814.)
- 26 October 1835, Lamoille County set off.
Places / Localities
- Wells River
A transcript of the 1771 census of Gloucester County, New York survives:
Regiments and Companies:
Orange County Probate Districts
- Randolph District - Braintree, Brookfield, Chelsea, Orange, Randolph, Tunbridge, Washington and Williamstown.
- Bradford District - Bradford, Corinth, Fairlee, Newbury, Strafford, Thetford, Topsham, Vershire and West Fairlee.
- Orange District - in 1994 the Randolph and Bradford Districts merged under the Orange District.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Orange County
- The Orange County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Orange County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- Harry Macy, "Newtown Census of 1771," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 117, No. 1 (Jan. 1986):8. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 117. The original census records were destroyed in a 1911 fire at the New York State Library.