Orange County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by TXGenWeb Orange County
Shirley Cullum & Elaine Stone
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The current Orange County Courthouse, built in 1937, is the fourth courthouse to hold Orange County's offices and records. The first courthouse was built in 1853. The second courthouse, built in 1884 burned in 1898. The 1898 Courthouse was the county's third courthouse.
Orange County Courthouse
801 W Division Ave
Orange, TX 77630-6353
Inventory of the county archives of Texas: Orange County, no. 181. Inventory of records of Orange County housed in the Orange County Courthouse as of 1936-1937. Digital book online from The Portal to Texas History.
Inventory of county records: Orange County Courthouse, Orange, Texas, 1979. Inventory of records of Orange County housed in the Orange County Courthouse in Orange, Texas; begins with an introduction and explanation of the roles of various county government offices. Inventory describes the records of the Commissioners' Court, County Clerk, County Court, District Clerk, District Attorney, Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, Tax Assessor-Collector, County Treasurer, and Auditor. Also provides a list of Orange County records and an index. Digital book online from The Portal to Texas History.
Orange County; 801 W Division St; PO Box 1536; Orange, TX 77631; Ph. 409.882.7055 Details: (Co Clk has b rec from 1878, d rec from 1903, m, land & pro rec from 1852, mil rec from 1898 & ct rec from 1896; Dis Clk has div rec)
1898--Orange County Courthouse, built in 1884, destroyed by fire, April 14, 1898. All county records were stored in a vault and were not harmed by the fire. 
Places / Localities
Bridge City | Orange | Pinehurst | Vidor | West Orange
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, West Orange BillionGraves
- Orange County Land Title Abstracts from the Orange County TXGenWeb site.
- Gateway to Texas: the History of Orange and Orange County, 1988, by Howard C. Williams. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
- Orange County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Orange County 1862 Map from The Portal to Texas History.
- Orange County 1880 Map from The Portal to Texas History.
- Orange County 1886 Map from The Portal to Texas History.
- Orange County 1895 Map from The Portal to Texas History.
- Aerial Views of Orange County, 1948-1950s: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 from The Portal to Texas History.
- Orange County Births 1905-1925 from the Orange County TXGenWeb site.
- Orange County Marriages 1951-1971 from the Orange County TXGenWeb site.
- Orange County Deaths 1903-1984 from the Orange County TXGenWeb site.
- Orange County Cremations and Donations to Science from the Orange County TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Orange County TXGenWeb site history, information, lists, links and other Orange County information.
- Family History Library Catalog
- "3000 Persons Present for Orange County Courthouse Dedication," in the Port Arthur News, 19 Nov 1937
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Orange, TX Courthouse Fire, Apr 1898 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17708/orange-tx-orange-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1898