Omaha Indian Agency (Nebraska)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Omaha Agency was established in 1856. It was discontinued in 1925 when its responsibilities were acquired by the Winnebago Agency.
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Omaha Agency, 1856-1876, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 604-606. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661334 thru 1661336.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Omaha Agency, 1873-1874, are on roll 31 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617704).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1886-1909, and 1915-1924. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 311 thru 314. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 579721-579724). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online