Oldham County, Texas Genealogy
|Oldham County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The town of Tascosa was chosen as the county seat when Oldham County was organized in 1880. The county's first courthouse, a two story brick building, was built in 1884. In 1915, the county seat was moved to Vega and a second courthouse built. Although remodelled, the 1915 courthouse is in use today. The 1884 courthouse in Tascosa now serves as the Julian Bivins Museum.
Oldham County Courthouse
County Clerk -Becky Groneman
P. O. Box 360
Vega, Texas 79092
1876--Oldham County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1880. County seat: Vega 
Places / Localities
Adrian | Boise | Boys Ranch | Tascosa | Vega | Wildorado
- Boothill Cemetery from Cemeteries-of-tx.com
- Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Memorial Park Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Palo Duro Wildorado ~ findagrave
- Romero Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- St. Stephens Episcopal Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Tascosa Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Wimberly Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- Texas Land Grant Search Texas General Land Office
- Original Land Owners of Oldham County USGenWeb Archives
- Oldham County, 1981, by the Oldham County Historical Commission.
- Maverick Town: The Story of Old Tascosa, 1946; enlarged ed. 1968, by John L. McCarty.
- Oldham County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Historic Sites Atlas Texas Historic Commission
- Portal To Texas History
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Index to Military Roles for the Republic of Texas ~ TSHA
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
- 1890 Veterans Schedule ~ TXGenWeb
- Oldham County Military Oldham County TXGenWeb
- Confederate Military Pension Applications USGenWeb Archives
- Oldham County WW 1 Draft Applicants USGenWeb Archives
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Oldham County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Oldham County Public Library
Vega, TX 79092
Phone: (806) 267-2635
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Oldham County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Oldham County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).