Okaloosa County, Florida Genealogy
|Okaloosa County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 3, 1915|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Places / Localities
- Tombstone Transcription Project
- Find A Grave website (Okaloosa)
- Publication "Cemeteries of Okaloosa County" (Three Volumes); Genealogical Society of Okaloosa County.
- Family History Library Catalog, partial listing; microfilm format, surveys done by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Burials and cemeteries on government property (Eglin Air Force Base):
- Okaloosa and Walton County Cemeteries, including some on government property (Eglin AFB)
- Finally, it should be noted that an examination of Santa Rosa County cemeteries may be appropriate, as it was one of two parent counties that produced Okaloosa County.
Societies and Libraries
An excellent guide to museums and libraries can be found at the Genealogical Society of Okaloosa County web site
Of particular note, in so far as family histories and genealogy is concerned are the following:
Valparaiso Community Library: Contains a dedicated genealogy section. "The Louise K. Fitzgarrald Genealogy Department boasts one of the finest genealogy collections in the state of Florida. Over 7,000 volumes of printed materials and 1,200 microfilm reels from Federal Census records and other references are available for use. The library also offers free access to subscription based online genealogical services."
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Okaloosa County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Okaloosa County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).