|Ohio Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
There are many societies which may help family historians. Genealogical, historical, lineage, veterans, and ethnic societies are especially helpful because of the records and resources they collect, transcribe, and publish. Often their records contain birth, marriage, death, and biographical information. See "Societies". Archives and Libraries are carefully contributed to and maintained by various Societies.
Genealogical and historical societies often maintain a genealogical file for families in the area and may sponsor publications, which may be found on the Ohio Periodicals wiki page. Many counties have their own genealogical societies and they can be found on their county pages.
One important society in Ohio is the Ohio Genealogical Society (see the "Archives and Libraries" page). The Ohio Genealogical Society has a number of Chapters throughout the state. Many Chapters actively extract and index original records. OGS Chapters are independent societies; researchers should contact them for publications and other resources for their respective counties.
- African American Genealogical Society
Cleveland, Ohio 44120
- Blair Society for Genealogical Research
726 Falling Oaks Dr.
Medina, OH 44256-2778
Website: Blair Society For Genealogical Research
- East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 24182
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182
Website: East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
- Darke County Genealogy Society
P.O. Box 908
Greenville, OH 45331
Website: Darke County Genealogy Society
- Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
P.O. Box 44309
Columbus, OH 43204-0309
Website: Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Genealogy by Computer Society
c/o Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
325 Michigan St.
Toledo, Ohio 43604
Website: Genealogy by Computer Society
- Genealogical Speakers Guild
P.O. Box 38314
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138-0314
Website: Genealogy Speakers Guild
- Huron County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
PO Box 923
Norwalk, OH 44857-0923
- Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 40234
Cleveland, OH 44140-0254
Website: The Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
- Logan County Genealogical Society
521 East Columbus Avenue
P.O. Box 36
Bellefontaine, OH 43311-0036
Website: Logan County Genealogical Society
- Ohio Genealogical Society
611 State Route 97 W [June 2010]
Bellville, OH 44813
Website: Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
P.O. Box 24810
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0810
Website: Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
- Toledo Area Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 352258
Toledo, OH 43635-2258
Almost every county in Ohio has a branch of the OGS that actively collects, preserves, and publishes local records. There are many other societies in Ohio proactive in promoting research.
- Ohio Genealogical Society
611 State Route 97 W, Bellville, OH 44813
Phone: (419) 886-1903
Internet: Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio History Connection
Ohio History Center
800 E. 17th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
Telephone: 800-686-6124 and 614-297-2300
Internet: Ohio History Center
- Archives/Library Section
- Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44106-1788
Telephone: 216-721-5722. Fax: 216-721-0645
Internet: Western Reserve Historical Society
A guide to the holdings:
- Pike, Kermit J. A Guide to the Manuscripts and Archives of the Western Reserve Historical Society. Cleveland, Ohio: The Western Reserve Historical Society, 1972. FHL book 977.1 A3p.
- Western Reserve Historical Society. History Library. Card Catalog to the Manuscripts Collection in the Library of the Western Reserve Historical Society. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1974. FHL films 934566-69; 934617-18.
A Lineage society is an organization whose members have shown proof of their descent from a qualifying ancestor such as a colonist or soldier. There are early settlers, ethnic, religious, and war societies. The Hereditary Society Blue Book is the annual Who's Who or Social Register of Hereditary, Lineage, and Patriotic societies. It also contains information on lineage societies, including the insignia, the membership requirements, and the national address of each organization. Books, articles, and publications that can be very helpful in genealogical research are kept by these societies. The applications for membership in these societies are preserved, and many are on microfilm at the Family History Library. See the Register of U. S. Lineage Societies (mentioned in the "Societies"), for lists of microfilmed records, and publications. Hundreds of organizations are in the United States, here are some with Ohio ties:
- Celtic Society of Southeastern Ohio
- Colonial Dames
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
- Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865
- First Families of Ohio. Sponsored by the Ohio Genealogical Society to show lineage from an ancestor in Ohio prior to the end of 1820.
- First Families of Ohio (Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Lake Counties only)
- German-American Citizens League is an umbrella association of 27 organizations in the Ohio Valley, with the common bond of interest in German-American heritage and culture.
- General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Ohio Society of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America
- Ohio Society of the War of 1812
- Ohio State Society Of The National Society United States Daughters of 1812
- Scottish American Society
- Sons of the American Revolution
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Department of Ohio includes camp histories.
- Lentz, Andrea D., ed. A Guide to Manuscripts at the Ohio Historical Society. Columbus, Ohio: The Ohio Historical Society, 1972. FHL book 977.1 A3ohs Digital version available through FamilySearch Catalog entry.
- Mettle, Suzanne Wolfe, et al., comps. Genealogical Researcher's Manual with Special References for Using the Ohio Historical Society Library. Columbus, Ohio: Franklin County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society, 1981. FHL book 977.1 D27g.
- Hereditary Society Blue Book (1994), edited by Robert R. Davenport FHL film 1697831 Item 4 ISBN 0806313986, 9780806313986