Transcriptions of cemetery records compiled by local genealogical groups or individuals are available at the Family History Library for most counties in Ohio. For those records compiled by chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution, see the "Genealogy" section of this outline.
The Family History Library also has microfilm copies of sexton and mortician records from some counties.
Some older cemetery lists have been reprinted in:
Ohio Cemetery Records: Extracted from the "Old Northwest Genealogical Quarterly." Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, 1984. (FHL book 977.1 V3oh; film 1320550 item 15.)
Many eastern Ohio cemeteries are transcribed in The Henry R. Baldwin Genealogical Records, described in the "Genealogy" section of this outline. The first seven volumes are cemetery records.
Some Ohio cemetery records were copied by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These records are found in:
Ohio Cemetery Records. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. (FHL films 873854 item 7 and 873855 items 2-3.)
Excellent sources for veterans' graves are mentioned in the "Military Records" section of this outline.
Locating Cemeteries and Transcripts
The known names and locations of Ohio cemeteries and information about published inscriptions are given in:
- Smith, Maxine Hartmann, ed. Ohio Cemeteries. Mansfield, Ohio: Ohio Genealogical Society, 1978. (FHL book 977.1 V34o; fiche 6051415.)
- Klaiber, Teresa L. M., ed. Ohio Cemeteries Addendum. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1990. (FHL book 977.1 V36o supp.)
- A county-by-county list of cemetery record transcripts available at the Family History Library as of 1988 is found in:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family History Library (Salt Lake City, Utah). Index to United States Cemeteries. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988. (FHL films 1206468-94.) Films 1206485-86 include Ohio, among other states.
- LDS Cemetery Records
- Periodicals have published inscriptions from many Ohio cemeteries. These are referenced in the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), described in the "Periodicals" section of this outline.
The Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog lists more of these records under:
OHIO - CEMETERIES
OHIO, [COUNTY] - CEMETERIES
OHIO, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - CEMETERIES
If you know the name of the cemetery or the town and/or county you people were buried in, you can sometimes find online cemetery inscriptions by using a search engine such as "Google" and using the search terms “county or city you are looking for” + cemeteries or “West Cemetery” + Cuyahoga.
The following websites have Ohio cemetery records online: