Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as an individual's date of birth and marriage; family members; occupation; education; military service information; family migration; social, political, and religious affiliation.
Examples of sources for biography in Ohio
- The "History of the Western Reserve" provides extensive biographies and many portraits. Excerpts can be viewed at HWR. The complete text is viewable at Google Books,
- The "History of Ohio" The last three volumes contain biographical sketches of prominent Ohio citizens. (The entire 3,562 page book is viewable at HeritageQuest online, through most public library websites.)
An every-name card index to about 450,000 persons mentioned in the biographical sections of Ohio county histories is: The Ohio Surname Index.
An Every-Name Index to the History of the Western Reserve
- Upton, Harriet Taylor. History of the Western Reserve. Three Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing, 1910. (Family History Library book 977.13 H2u; films 934867-68.)
- Galbreath, Charles B. History of Ohio. Five Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: American Historical Society, 1925. (Family History Library book 977.1 H2ga; films 931797-801.)
- Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Historical Society, 1984. (Family History Library films 398201-64.)
- Mentor, Ohio: Lake County Chapter, OGS, 1988. (Family History Library book 977.13 H2u index 1988; fiche 6093927.)