Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy
Ocean County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Ocean County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|County Seat||Toms River|
|Address|| Ocean County Courthouse|
118 Washington Street
PO Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754
Phone: (732) 929-2018
Ocean County Website
- 1 Ocean County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 2 Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
- 2.1 Bible
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.8 Gazetteers
- 2.9 Genealogy
- 2.10 Land and Property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Migration
- 2.13 Military
- 2.14 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Occupations
- 2.17 Periodicals
- 2.18 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Repositories
- 2.21 Schools
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 3 Ocean County, New Jersey Web Sites
- 4 Ocean County, New Jersey Places
- 5 Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy References
Ocean County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- Named for the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1857, boundary with Burlington County clarified.
- 1869, part of Plumsted twp. to Monmouth County.
- 1891, received Little Egg Harbor twp. from Burlington County.
- 1906, coastal boundary defined.
- 1928, part of Howell twp. from Monmouth County.
Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
US Vol. 1 page 20 - Torry Cemetery, at Lakehurst
- Contains the church records of:
- Barnegat City: St. Peter's Chapel
- Beach Haven: Holy Innocents Church
- Beachwood: St. Paul Lutheran Church
- Toms River: First United Methodist Church
- Tuckerton: First Presbyterian Church
- Contains the church records of:
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
Family History Centers
Ocean County, New Jersey Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
Ocean County, New Jersey Places
Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content