Difference between revisions of "Northop, Flintshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(added info and link)
(extracted information from an out-of-copyright book)
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Wales]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Flintshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Flintshire Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]Northrop
+
[[Wales]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[Flintshire]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]Northop
  
=== History  ===
+
A guide to genealogy in '''Northop''', with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
  
Alternately called Northrop or Llan-Eurgain. "This place, which has obtained its present appellation in contradistinction to East, or Queen's Hope, was by the Welsh called "Llan-Eurgain," from the dedication of its first church to St. Eurgain, niece of St. Asaph, the second bishop of the see which from him derived its name. The parish, which is of very considerable extent, is situated on the estuary of the Dee, by which it is bounded on the north-east, and is traversed by the roads from Chester to Holyhead, and from Mold to Holywell, which cross each other near the church. .... The village, which is large, is pleasantly situated in a fertile and beautiful tract of country, abounding with finely varied and highly picturesque scenery, and is surrounded on all sides by elegant villas and handsome seats, inhabited by opulent families. .... The parish is rich in mineral treasure: coal and lead-ore have been worked here for several centuries; an extensive colliery is still carried on in the hamlet of Soughton, and several shafts are now being sunk on the Northop Hall estate, in the hamlets of Northop and Kelsterton." [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834] For more information see [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Northop/index.html Northrop, Flintshire at genuki.org.uk]<br>
+
'''Northop''' (Welsh: '''Llaneurgain''') is a village, [[Communities in Wales|community]] and ecclesiastical parish in [[Flintshire]], [[Wales]].  
  
=== <br>Records  ===
+
Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of [[Flintshire]] and, between 1974 and 1996 in the [[County of Clwyd]]. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of [[Flintshire]].
  
==== <br>Civil Registration ====
+
== History ==
  
==== <br>Church Records  ====
+
"NORTHOP (NORTH-HOPE), a parish in the Northop division of the hundred of Coleshill, county of Flint, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Mold, and 3 (S.by E.) from Flint, containing 3026 inhabitants. This place, which has obtained its present appellation in contradistinction to East, or Queen's Hope, was by the Welsh called "Llan-Eurgain," from the dedication of its first church to St. Eurgain, niece of St. Asaph, the second bishop of the see which from him derived its name. The parish, which is of very considerable extent, is situated on the estuary of the Dee, by which it is bounded on the north-east, and is traversed by the roads from Chester to Holyhead, and from Mold to Holywell, which cross each other near the church. .... The village, which is large, is pleasantly situated in a fertile and beautiful tract of country, abounding with finely varied and highly picturesque scenery, and is surrounded on all sides by elegant villas and handsome seats, inhabited by opulent families. .... The present church, erected in 1571, and dedicated to St. Peter, is a spacious and embattled structure, with a lofty and elegant tower, ninety-eight feet high, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle..."&nbsp;[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
  
==== <br>Census Records  ====
+
For more information on Northop see: [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Northop/index.html Genuki - Northop]
  
==== <br>Probate Records ====
+
== Administration ==
  
=== <br>Maps and Gazetteers  ===
+
{| width="90%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="1" align="center" class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! width="45%" | Years
 +
! width="45%" | County
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| before 31 March 1974
 +
| [[Flintshire]]
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| 1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996
 +
| [[County of Clwyd|Clwyd]]
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| from 1 April 1996
 +
| [[Flintshire]]
 +
|}
  
<br>
+
== Records  ==
  
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk Vision of Britain]
+
=== Civil Registration  ===
  
=== Web Sites <br><br> ===
+
=== Church Records  ===
  
[[Category:Flintshire Parishes]]
+
=== Census Records  ===
 +
 
 +
{{British Census|464323}}
 +
 
 +
=== Probate Records  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Poor Law Union Records  ===
 +
 
 +
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8397 Vision of Britain - Northop]
 +
 
 +
== Web Sites  ==
 +
 
 +
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/northop.htm Northop Parish Church] at Clwyd FHS
 +
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/northop_wm.htm Northop War Memorial] at Clwyd FHS
 +
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/northophall_wm.htm Northop Hall War Memorial] at Clwyd FHSD[[Wales]]
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Flintshire]] [[Category:Parishes_of_Historic_Flintshire]]

Revision as of 17:55, 28 June 2013

WalesGotoarrow.pngFlintshireGotoarrow.pngNorthop

A guide to genealogy in Northop, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.

Northop (Welsh: Llaneurgain) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in Flintshire, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Flintshire.

History

"NORTHOP (NORTH-HOPE), a parish in the Northop division of the hundred of Coleshill, county of Flint, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Mold, and 3 (S.by E.) from Flint, containing 3026 inhabitants. This place, which has obtained its present appellation in contradistinction to East, or Queen's Hope, was by the Welsh called "Llan-Eurgain," from the dedication of its first church to St. Eurgain, niece of St. Asaph, the second bishop of the see which from him derived its name. The parish, which is of very considerable extent, is situated on the estuary of the Dee, by which it is bounded on the north-east, and is traversed by the roads from Chester to Holyhead, and from Mold to Holywell, which cross each other near the church. .... The village, which is large, is pleasantly situated in a fertile and beautiful tract of country, abounding with finely varied and highly picturesque scenery, and is surrounded on all sides by elegant villas and handsome seats, inhabited by opulent families. .... The present church, erected in 1571, and dedicated to St. Peter, is a spacious and embattled structure, with a lofty and elegant tower, ninety-eight feet high, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle..." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]

For more information on Northop see: Genuki - Northop

Administration

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Flintshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Flintshire

Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Probate Records

Poor Law Union Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites