Northern Idaho Indian Agency (Idaho)
The Northern Idaho Agency was established in 1938 as a successor to the Coeur d'Alene Agency. The Fort Lapwai Agency had been combined with the Coeur d'Alene Agency in 1933. Hence the responsibility for the Nez Perce Indians also was included in the new Northern Idaho Agency.
Some of the records of the Northern Idaho Agency have been transferred to the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle, including some of the records of predecessor agencies, 1871-1969. Some of those have also been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library, including:
- agency records, 1887-1947
- heirship records, 1923-1950
- school records, 1925-1952
- and individual money ledgers, 1910-1938
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency from 1938 to 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 302. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 579712). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services.