Newburgh New York Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 485 Mt. Airy Rd., New Windsor, NY
- There are several entrances to our building. The FHC entrance is the second set of double doors from the parking lot on the front of the building. Push the button in on the first of those double doors to open it. If it's locked, please ring the bell on the brick wall to the left of the doors, and someone will let you in.
- All of the staff are volunteers. Sometimes things happen that make it necessary for us to close unexpectedly. For that reason, it's best to call before you come the first time. After that, if you would like, you can be added to our email list. Then you will get an email if we have to close unexpectedly.
- Location on Google Map
- Mon 9am-12pm,
- Tues 7-9pm,
- Thurs 10:30am-1pm & 7-9pm,
- Fri 10am-12pm
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Microfilm: We also have quite a few rolls of microfilm that we have retained when patrons ordered them on indefinite loan. .
- Microfiche: When a patron orders records on microfiche, they stay in the Family History Center permanently, so we have 27 years worth of miscellaneous records on fiche. Plus we have the following complete collections: Old Parochial Scottish Church Records, Accelerated Indexing System, and the Microfiche Reference Collection, which is a collection of the 100+ most used books at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Books and Periodicals. We don't have a lot, but too many to list here. If you would like a complete list, please email us at NY_Newburgh@ldsmail.net.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. For a description of those websites, go to http://fhc.familysearch.org and click on Premium Family History Websites.
Hardware and Equipment
- 3 computers
- 5 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
- 1 digital imaging machine, with which you can make copies of pages on microfilm. You can also save them to a thumb drive, which gives you the ability to enlarge and/or enhance the image.
- 1 flatbed scanner
- 1 printer
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Newburgh Free Library has an excellent local history room with lots of resources, including records of genealogical value. 124 Grand St., Newburgh, NY 12550, (845)563-3600, www.newburghlibrary.org
- Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main St., Goshen, NY 10924, www.ocgsny.org
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)