New York, Yates County, Swann Vital Records Collection (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Collection Time Period
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Record
- 4 Record History
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
- 8 Sources of Information for This Collection
Collection Time Period
The collection covers the years 1723 to 2009.
The collection consists of a name index and images of the Swann Vital Records Collection from the Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society in Penn Yan, New York. The collection contains the following:
- Compiled genealogy
- Newspaper clippings
- Bible pages
- Family records
The collection is named after Frank L. Swann (1894-1987) who was the Yates County Historian from 1956 to 1980.
The key genealogical facts found in this collection may include the following information:
- Names of family members
- Birth, marriage, death, or burial dates and places
- Family groupings
How to Use the Record
This collection is considered a secondary source, but the information in it can lead you to other primary records. Compare the information in the collection to what you already know to make sure that you have the correct family or individual.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Make a photocopy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the names, dates, and places as the basis for family groups or to build a family pedigree.
- Use the dates along with places or residences to help you locate the family in other records such as census, church, and land records.
- Use age listed to determine approximate birth dates.
- Use burial information to locate mortuary or funeral records, which could include names and addresses of family members.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- You may need to search for both their Indian name and their English name.
- Be aware that, as with any compiled source, transcription errors may occur.
- Compile entries for individuals and families with the same surname.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same locality or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, check for variant spellings of the surnames.
The Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society in Penn Yan, New York, collected historical and genealogical documents pertinent to the county.
Why the Record Was Created
The collection was created in response the societies mission.
The reliability depends on the knowledge of the individual informants and each seperalte record type.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from the record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find th record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you do not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched in found in the Wiki Article: How to Create Source Citations for FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023
Sources of Information for This Collection
"New York, Yates County, Swann Vital Records Collection, 1723-2009." ‘’FamilySearch’’ (https://www.familysearch.org). Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society in Penn Yan, New York. FHL digital images, 85 digital folders. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.