New Mexico Newspapers
Resources for New Mexico Newspapers
The New Mexico Records Center and Archives and the New Mexico Museum of History Library have excellent collections of newspapers dating from the 1860s. The Family History Library has newspapers for some towns, including Albuquerque from about 1870 to 1899 and Santa Fe.
The following guides can help you locate New Mexico newspapers:
- Grove, Pearce S. New Mexico Newspapers: A Comprehensive Guide to Bibliographical Entries and Locations. Albuquerque, New Mexico: University of New Mexico Press, 1975. (Family History Library book 978.9 B33g; fiche 6046704.)
- Stratton, Porter A. The Territorial Press of New Mexico, 1834-1912. Albuquerque, New Mexico: University of New Mexico Press, . (Family History Library book 978.9 B3s; film 896539.)
Digital Issues Online
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of New Mexico newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries under the name AccessNewspaperArchive.
Native American Obituaries
The Native American Obituary Project is a compilation of over 500 pages of newspaper clippings of Native American obituaries from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah. The project originated with volunteers at the Farmington, New Mexico Family History Center. The obituaries range in date from 1977 to 2001. They were printed in the following newspapers:
• The Daily Times (Farmington, New Mexico)
• The Winslow Mail (Winslow, Arizona)
• Montezuma Valley Sun (Montezuma, Colorado)
• Cortez Journal (Cortez, Colorado)
• Navajo Times (Window Rock, Navajo Nation, Arizona)
• Lake Powell Chronicle (Page, Arizona)
The published volume, which includes a surname index, has been microfilmed and digitized under the title, Native American Obituaries. It is one of countless treasures of the Family History Library, accessible on site, online, or through a local Family History Center. The Family History Library Catalog provides a full description. It can also be accessed through the BYU Family History Archives, Digital Collections. See related blog article (7 Jun 2011).