New Madrid County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
New Madrid County predates the state of Missouri which was admitted to the union in 1821.New Madrid was one of the five original districts of the Louisiana Territory from 1805-1812 and one of the five original counties of the Missouri Territory from 1812 to 1821.
1812--New Madrid County was created 1 October 1812 as an original county.
County seat: New Madrid. 
- See an interactive map of New Madrid County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Map of New madrid County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including New Madrid County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in New Madrid County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)