New Jersey Biography
The best collections of published biographies in New Jersey are at the New Jersey State Library, New Jersey Historical Society, and Rutgers University. The Newark Public Library has a card index to biographical information called Information on Notable Persons.
Several statewide, regional, and county biographical encyclopedias are included in the Genealogy and Local History collection described in the "History" section of this outline. The following are examples of excellent biographical encyclopedias available for New Jersey:
- Sinclair, Donald Arleigh, Compilers, A New Jersey Biographical Index: Covering Some 100,000 Biographies and Associated Portraits in 237 New Jersey Cyclopedias, Histories, Yearbooks, Periodicals, and Other Collective Biographical Sources Published to about 1980. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1993. (Family History Library book 974.9 D32s.) An extensive index to New Jersey biographies.
- Lee, Francis Bazley. Genealogical and Memorial History of the State of New Jersey. Four Volumes. New York, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1910. (Family History Library films 514673-74.) Includes index.
- Ogden, Mary Depue. Memorial Cyclopedia of New Jersey. Four Volumes. Newark, New Jersey: Memorial History, 1915-1921. (Family History Library book 974.9 D3m; film 924475 item 2; fiche 6045849.) The first three volumes were reprinted as Cyclopedia of New Jersey Biography: Memorial and Biographical. Three Volumes. (New York, New York: American Historical Society, 1923; Family History Library book 974.9 D3c; film 1035594 items 4-6; fiche 6045806.)
- Nelson, William. Nelson's Biographical Cyclopedia. Two volumes. Eastern Historical Publishing Society, 1913. (FHL book 974.9 D3n; film 823724.)
- The Biographical Encyclopedia of New Jersey of the Nineteenth Century. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Galaxy Publishing, 1877. (Family History Library fiche 6045839.) Not available at Family History Centers.
- Honeyman, A. Van Doren, Editor. Northwestern New Jersey, a History of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren, and Sussex Counties. Five Volumes. New York, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1927. (Family History Library book 974.9 H2n, v. 3-4; fiche 6045834; Volumes 3-4 on film 1035764 items 2-3, 530520.) Volumes three through five are biographical.