Difference between revisions of "New Brentford, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  New Brentford  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  New Brentford  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
New Brentford was a chapelry within the parish of Brentford and had the following chapels and district churches associated with it, including--New Brentford (1721; it was a chapelry until 1721), St George's, High Street [an ancient curacy established in 1653], St Faith's, Windmill Road (?), St George Old Brentford (1828), St Laurence High Street (1570) and St Paul's St Paul's Road built in 1868.
 
  
"BRENTFORD, a market-town, and the head of a union; comprising Old Brentford, in the parish of Ealing, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, and ''New Brentford'', in the parish of Hanwell, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, of which it is the county town; 7 miles (W. by S.) from Hydepark Corner, and on the great western road; New Brentford containing 2174 inhabitants, and Old Brentford 5058. This place, formerly called Brainforde, takes its name from an ancient ford on the small river Brent. In 1016 Edmund Ironside, having compelled the Danes to raise the siege of London, pursued them to this place, where they were routed with great slaughter. A chapter of the order of the Garter was held here in 1445; and, in the 25th of Henry VI., an hospital for a master and several brethren, of the Nine Orders of Angels, was founded in a chapel beyond the bridge, at the western end of the town, once known as West Brentford: the revenue appears to have been £40, and the site was granted to Edward, Duke of Somerset, in the 1st of Edward VI. In 1558, six Protestants were burnt here at the stake.  
+
New Brentford was a chapelry within the parish of Hanwell and had the following chapels and district churches associated with it, including--New Brentford (1721; it was a chapelry until 1721), St George's, High Street [an ancient curacy established in 1653], St Faith's, Windmill Road (?), St George Old Brentford (1828), St Laurence High Street (1570) and St Paul's St Paul's Road built in 1868.  
  
In the great civil war the place was the scene of a battle, in which the royalists, though victorious, were obliged to retire from the field, by the sudden arrival of a strong reinforcement to the enemy from London. For his services in this battle, which occurred on the 12th of November, 1642, Patrick Ruthen, Earl of Forth in Scotland, was created an English peer by the title of Earl of Brentford, which title was subsequently conferred by William III. upon Mareschal Schomberg, who had accompanied him to England at the Revolution. Several skirmishes also took place in 1647, between the royal guards stationed here and the parliamentary troops quartered at Hounslow. The town consists of one street, more than a mile in length, paved, and lighted with gas, under an act of parliament obtained in 1825 and amended in 1842. The river Thames runs parallel with the street; and over it, at the eastern extremity of the town, is a handsome stone bridge leading to Kew: the Brent, uniting the Grand Junction canal with the Thames, crosses Brentford on the west; and over this is a neat stone bridge erected by the county in 1825, replacing a bridge of great antiquity, at one time supported by a toll levied upon Jewish passengers exclusively. There are a large malt-distillery, an extensive brewery, and a soap-manufactory; but the chief trade of the town is derived from its situation on the great western road (now much diminished, however, by the construction of the Great Western railway), and from the union of the canal with the Thames.
+
<br>Here is an excerpt on a 19th century historical perspective by the famed topographer, Samuel Lewis:<br>
  
The market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on May 17th, 18th, and 19th, for cattle, and September 12th, 13th, and 14th, for toys and pedlery. The town is within the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, who hold a petty-session for the division every alternate week: the powers of the county debt-court of Brentford, established in 1847, extend over the registrationdistrict of Brentford. The parliamentary elections for the county take place at New Brentford. The living of New Brentford is a perpetual curacy; net income, £283; patron, the Rector of Hanwell. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £60, and the vicarial for £85. The chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, with the exception of the tower was rebuilt of brick in 1762: annexed to it is the residence of the minister. The chapel of Old Brentford, dedicated to St. George, was rebuilt in 1770, by subscription: the living was augmented in 1842 to £168 per annum by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Vicar of Ealing.  
+
"BRENTFORD, a market-town, and the head of a union; comprising Old Brentford, in the parish of Ealing, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, and ''New Brentford'', in the parish of Hanwell, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, of which it is the county town; 7 miles (W. by S.) from Hydepark Corner...[and also encompassing]..."Old Brentford". "The chapel, [was] dedicated to St. Lawrence"...
  
There are places of worship for Particular Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. A charity school for boys, established by subscription in 1703, was endowed by Lady Capel, in 1719, with the twelfth part of an estate, yielding at present £37. 10. per annum: the endowment, enlarged by subsequent benefactions, produces an annual income of £143. There is a national school, partly supported by an endowment. The poor law union of Brentford comprises 10 parishes or places, and contains a population of 37,054. Human skeletons have at various times been dug up in the neighbourhood."
+
There were places of worship built for Particular Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. <br>
  
1. Samuel Lewis, ed. ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' 353-357. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50826| here], (accessed: 03 May 2010).
+
1. Samuel Lewis, ed. ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' 353-357. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50826| here], (accessed: 03 May 2010).  
  
== Resources  ==
+
== Resources  ==
  
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
Line 20: Line 19:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
==== Church records  ====
+
==== Church records  ====
  
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
+
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.  
  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
Line 28: Line 27:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
Line 34: Line 33:
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
==== Poor Law Unions ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions ====
  
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
+
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.  
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 +
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
  
== Web sites  ==
+
== Web sites  ==
 +
 
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
[[Category:Middlesex]] [[Category:London]]
+
[[Category:Middlesex]] [[Category:London]]

Revision as of 03:17, 12 February 2012

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png London Gotoarrow.png London Parishes Gotoarrow.png  New Brentford

Parish History

New Brentford was a chapelry within the parish of Hanwell and had the following chapels and district churches associated with it, including--New Brentford (1721; it was a chapelry until 1721), St George's, High Street [an ancient curacy established in 1653], St Faith's, Windmill Road (?), St George Old Brentford (1828), St Laurence High Street (1570) and St Paul's St Paul's Road built in 1868.


Here is an excerpt on a 19th century historical perspective by the famed topographer, Samuel Lewis:

"BRENTFORD, a market-town, and the head of a union; comprising Old Brentford, in the parish of Ealing, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, and New Brentford, in the parish of Hanwell, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, of which it is the county town; 7 miles (W. by S.) from Hydepark Corner...[and also encompassing]..."Old Brentford". "The chapel, [was] dedicated to St. Lawrence"...

There were places of worship built for Particular Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.

1. Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 353-357. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 03 May 2010).

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.