Nelson County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Nelson County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 20 family history books and articles have been published about Nelson County's families.
- Main article: Nelson County, Virginia
Nelson County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 30 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Nelson County families include:
- Nelson County Heritage Book Committee. Nelson County, Virginia Heritage, 1807-2000. Summersville, W. Va.: S.E. Grose and the Nelson Book Committee, 2001. FHL Book 975.5493 H2n
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alcock] Alcott-Rammelsberg, Billie Lee. Some Descendants of William Allcock: Tobacco Inspector of Caroline Co., Va.: & Other Alcock Families. Manchester, Mo.: Independent Pub., c2004. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Bell] Coke, Ben H. Early Landowners Near Greenfield, Virginia and the Bell Family Who Once Lived There. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, c1993. FHL Book 975.5493/G1 D2c.
- [Dawson] Sherrard, Joseph H. The Loving, Dawson, Gleason Families of Nelson County, Virginia. Fair Oaks, Calif.: J.H. Sherrard, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 L948sj.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 1. Includes Nelson County Duncans.
- [Dunning] Dunning, Harold M. Genealogy of the Dunnings, Descendants of William Dunning of Nelson County, Virginia. Typescript, 1961. FHL Fiche 6017638.
- [Gleason] Sherrard, Joseph H. The Loving, Dawson, Gleason Families of Nelson County, Virginia. Fair Oaks, Calif.: J.H. Sherrard IV, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 L948sj.
- [Hight] Creasy, Mary Hight and Aldwin Hight. History of the John Hight Family of Nelson County, Virginia Notes on the Related Families of George Washington Stratton, James Loving, John Preston Campbell, Thomas Jones. Lynchburg, Va.: M.H. Creasy, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 H538c.
- [Key] Key, Marcus M. "Key: A Further Elucidation," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Jul./Sep. 1980):199-200. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 24 (1980); digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Key] Key, Betty and Marcus M. Key. "John and Susannah Key of Old Amherst County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):117-122; Vol. 29, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1985):196-204. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- [Lea] Lea, Reba Fitzpatrick. The Lea Family in Nelson county, Virginia - Their History and Genealogy. Lynchburg, Va.: Brown-Morrison, 1946. FHL Book 929.273 L461L.
- [Loving] Sherrard, Joseph H. The Loving, Dawson, Gleason Families of Nelson County, Virginia. Fair Oaks, Calif.: J.H. Sherrard, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 L948sj.
- [Messencup] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Abstracts of Virginia Families: Vol. 1. MSS. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1597677 Item 12
- [Moore] Moore, Charles R. The Moore Family of Central Virginia Covering the Counties of Albeharle, Amherst, Bedford, Buckingham, Campbell, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson, and Orange, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va.: C.R. Moore, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6921.
- [Morrison] Mosher, Merrill Hill. Morrison of Albemarle, Amherst & Nelson Counties, Virginia. Coos Bay, Oregon: M.H. Mosher, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 M834mmh.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Nelson County appears in Vol. 2 Part 3]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Nelson County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Perkins] Perkins, William Robertson. Papers 1929-1943. Section 2. MSS. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Porter] Solla, Linda Weihl. Porter Profiles: The John Porter Family from Nelson County, Virginia. n.p.: L.W. Solla, . FHL Book 929.273 P834s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Richardson] McMillan, Lucille Elizabeth Richardson. Five Roads from Cloverdale: The Descendants of James Muse Richardson (1815-1895) and Narcissa Theresa Wills Richardson (1815-1893) from Cloverdale, Virginia and Related Families. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, c1992. FHL Book 929.273 R394m.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Shields] Hynes, Lee Powers. Our Heritage: A Record of Information about the Hynes, Wait, Powers, Chenault, Maxey, Brewster, Starr and McIntosh Families. Haddonfield, N.J., 1957.
- [Townsend] Miles, Frances Townsend. Some Descendants of Nathaniel C. Townsend and Sarah H. Austin of Nelson County, Virginia. Bartlesville, Okla.: F.T. Miles, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 T665a.
- [Turner] Walker, Alexander McDonald. William Terry Turner: Pioneer Physician of St. Albans, West Virginia. Bethesda, Md., 1963.
- [Wills] McMillan, Lucille Elizabeth Richardson.Five Roads from Cloverdale: The Descendants of James Muse Richardson (1815-1895) and Narcissa Theresa Wills Richardson (1815-1893) from Cloverdale, Virginia and Related Families. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, c1992. FHL Book 929.273 R394m.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Land Tax Records 1809-1850 Nelson County Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2009. FHL Book 929.273 W93gnL.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Personal Property Tax Lists 1809-1850 Nelson County Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2009. FHL Book 929.273 W93gnp.