Nebraska Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Nebraska, Marriages, 1855-1995 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Nebraska, United States|
|Flag of Nebraska|
|Location of Nebraska|
|Record Type||Marriage Records|
|Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes an index for the years 1855 to 1995. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later. For more information about these records, please see the Nebraska State Historical Society website.
Ordering Information (as of 8 Nov. 2017)
The cost for a marriage record is 25 cents for a scan; 75 cents for a paper copy (although they take donations above those amounts if you are so inclined). Payment can be sent to:
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
Or to pay by credit card, please call our Reference Room at (402)-471-4751. For email questions, contact the Reference Room/Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Marriage records usually include the following:
- Date and place of marriage
- Spouse's name
- Spouse's gender and age
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period. See coverage map.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1877-1895*||Marriages, 1855-1995|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of marriage
- The place where the marriage occurred
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for birth and death records
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for church, land, and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Nebraska Marriages, 1855-1995." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 8 March 2017. Citing Nebraska State Historical Society, Lincoln.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.