Nampa Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Address: 101 N. Canyon Street, Nampa, Idaho
Hours of Operation: Mon, Fri, Sat 10-5; Tue, Wed, Thurs 10-9
- 1 Classes and Workshops
- 2 Preparations for Groups Attending the Family History Center
- 3 Classes and Workshops Schedule
- 3.1 Register for Classes
- 3.2 Please call 467- 5827 or stop in to sign up for classes.
- 3.3 Class size is limited to sixteen persons in the large class room and six persons in the small class room.
- 3.4 Priesthood and Consultant Training Classes
- 3.5 Family History Introductory Classes
- 3.6 Topic-Specific Classes
- 3.7 Premium Research Websites
- 3.8 Microfilm Collection
- 3.9 Books and Maps
- 3.10 Center News
- 3.11 Announcements
- 3.12 Holiday Schedule
Classes and Workshops
Priesthood and Consultant Introductory Classes
1. “Registration, Doctrinal and Organizational Foundation (To Turn the Hearts Leader's Guide), Online Training Resources”
2. “Introduction to PAF, FamilySearch web site, New FamilySearch, Family History Center Resources”
Family History Introductory Classes
Each class is a hands-on workshop experience. This is a 5 week course with the option of starting with the second class if you are familiar with the computer.
1. “Basic Computer Skills” (You may skip this class if you are an experienced computer user.)
2. “Where Do I Begin?/PAF Overview and Basics”
3. “New FamilySearch Overview and Basics”
4. “FamilySearch web site”
5. “Family History Center Resources: Computer programs, Research Resources”
The following classes are taught from one to four times a year, according to patron interest, by staff members.
“PAF: Basics” - Using the basic functions of Personal Ancestral File
“PAF: Sourcing” - Sourcing in PAF using Source Description, Repository and Citation
“PAF: Sourcing Workshop” - Bring your PAF file for help with sourcing
“PAF: Clean up Your Source Files” - Get help cleaning up your source file
“PAF: Using Multimedia” - Include pictures, sound clips and video clips in PAF
“PAF: Using Multimedia Workshop” - Bring your multimedia files and get help including them in your family file
“PAF: Creating Focus Lists” (Intermediate level) - Use Focus Lists to create GEDCOMs or create lists of ancestors with common dates or places
“PAF: Editing Names and Places” - Editing names and dates already in your PAF family file
“New FamilySearch: Registration, Intro, Help Center/Training and Resources” - Introduction to New Family Search
“New Family Search: Adding and Editing Names and Places” - Add or edit information about your ancestors
“New FamilySearch: Deleting, Adding Opinions, Discussions, Watch” - Editing information and coordinating with other contributors to correct information already in the system
“New FamilySearch: Combining and Separating Records” - Combine duplicate records and separate records that don’t belong together
“New FamilySearch: Temple Ordinances and FOR’s” - Prepare a name for Temple ordinances
“FamilySearch Indexing” - Learn the basics of the Indexing program and how to get started
“FamilySearch Wiki” - What WIKI can do to help in your research efforts and how to add information to the WIKI
“Research: Basic Research Process” - How do I get started
“Research: Finding Your Ancestors Online” - Investigate many of the websites that can help you in your research
“Research: Census Records” - What Census records are available and where can I find them
“Research: Immigrations” - Where can I find immigration records and what information can in them
“Editing and Archiving Photos” - Touch up those old photos and how to store them
“Organizing Your Paper Files” - Suggestions on how to manage all those paper files that have accumulated during research
“Writing Your Personal History” - Recording your history for your descendants
"Family Insight (Basic)" – Learn how to use the basic features of Family Insight
"Family Insight (Synchronization)" – Learn how to use the NewFamilySearch synchronization feature of Family Insight
Preparations for Groups Attending the Family History Center
1. GROUPS: Please have each Person Create an LDS User’s Account Before Coming to Class
a. Bring up the Internet on their home computer.
b. Click on the address bar (the words will turn blue) and type “familysearch.org” and tap the Enter key.
c. Click on “Sign In” which is found toward the top right side of the screen.
d. A sign in screen will appear. Click on “Create New Account.”
e. Click on “LDS FamilySearch Account” and then click “Continue” and then follow the instructions on that screen.
2. Family Research: If they are coming to find or learn how to find ancestors to do temple work for, please ask them to bring a filled out Four Generation Pedigree Chart. If they do not have that information, please ask them to bring the names, birth or death dates, and birth or death places of ancestors who have passed on (one to four names will be helpful).
3. Indexing: If they are coming to do indexing, they will only need to create their LDS Account before coming.
Classes and Workshops Schedule
Register for Classes
Please call 467- 5827 or stop in to sign up for classes.
Class size is limited to sixteen persons in the large class room and six persons in the small class room.
Priesthood and Consultant Training Classes
Tuesdays: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
These classes are taught during the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November.
The first two classes are for Priesthood Leaders and Consultants. The last two classes are continued training for Consultants. Priesthood leaders are welcome to continue with these classes if they choose.
New Priesthood Leader and Consultant training will be held at 7:00 PM on
4, 11, 18, & 25 September
Family History Introductory Classes
These classes are being redesigned at this time.
July - Aug 2012
There will be no Topic Specific classes taught in July or August
Topic Specific classes in Sep will be taught on Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM
6 Sep - Basic PAF
13 Sep - Family Search WIKI
20 Sep - PAF Sourcing
27 Sep - Using Multimedia in PAF
Premium Research Websites
The following Premium Subscription Websites are available for use, free of charge, at the Center:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press-The American Civil War
- Find My Past
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
The Center has a significant selection of microfilm on hand with access to many thousands more. An indexed list is available in the Center.
Books and Maps
The Center has many volumes available. A binder with the listings is available in the Center.
The Center has staff members serving Monday morning, Tuesday evening, and Thursday evening who speak Spanish.
Wednesday evening is a great time to schedule a visit to the Center for youth groups.
Online Film Ordering: https://www.familysearch.org/films/ Films are now to be ordered online instead of at the Family History Center.
"Western Idaho/Eastern Oregon Family History Conference
Saturday, Oct, 2012
Nampa North Stake Center
6111 Birch Lane (Northwest of the Idaho Center)
8:45 am - 4:30 pm
Information for the October will posted in August. These conferences are held in April and October.
Jan 1: New Years Day
April 2: General Conference
May 30: Memorial Day
July 4: Independence Day
Sep 5: Labor Day
Oct 1: General Conference
Nov 23-26: Thanksgiving
Dec 24-31: Christmas
Also closed for the Area Family History Conferences.