Namibia, Dutch Reformed Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Namibia, Dutch Reformed Church Records, 1904-1984
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Namibia|
|Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk (Dutch Reformed Church-Namibia), Windhoek|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes baptisms, marriages, and membership records from the Dutch Reformed Church for the years 1904 to 1984.
Availability of records will vary depending on location. The Dutch Reformed Church has baptismal and membership records at their archive. Marriage records are kept at the National Archives of Namibia in Windhoek, which shares a building with the National Library of Namibia.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in English and Afrikaans.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Click on the image for a larger view.
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Namibia, Dutch Reformed Church Records Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
You can search the index. Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate date of the event (birth, marriage, etc.)
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Namibia, Dutch Reformed Church Records, 1956-1984. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Witnesses listed in the church records may be relatives
- The birth place listed on the church records may provide a location to search additional records
- Oftentimes the baptismal registers will include a birth date for the person being baptized
- The parents' names of the children being baptized are often included on the baptismal record
- Parents' names are often included on the marriage records
I Can’t Find The Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.