Mower County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Mower County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mower County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|Address|| Mower County Courthouse|
201 1st St NE
Austin, MN 55912
Mower County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Mower County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1865, divorce and court records
from 1900 and probate records from 1856.
County Recorder has land recorders. 
- 1855--Mower County was created 20 February 1855 from Rice County and formally organized 1 March 1856.
County seat: Austin 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Grand Meadow
- Le Roy
- Rose Creek
Adams | Austin | Bennington | Clayton | Dexter | Frankford | Grand Meadow | Lansing | Lodi | Lyle | Marshall | Nevada | Pleasant Valley | Racine | Red Rock | Sargeant | Udolpho | Waltham | Windom |
All of Mower County's land is divided into 20 townships that are 36 square miles (six miles north to south X six miles west to east) in area. Mower County is five townships wide (a total of 30 miles west to east) and four townships from north to south (a total of 24 miles). The arrangement of the townships within the county is shown at wikipedia.com.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of Lutheran Church, Austin, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Bear Creek Lutheran Church, Grand Meadow
- 1867-1956 - Records of Bear Creek Lutheran Church, Grand Meadow, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Evanger Lutheran Church, Sargeant
- Records of the Evanger Lutheran Church, Sargeant, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Little Cedar Lutheran Church, Adams
- Records of Little Cedar Lutheran Church, Adams, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Red Oak Grove Lutheran Church, Austin
- Records of Red Oak Lutheran Church, Austin, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Mower – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Mower County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Mower County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Mower County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company M.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company D.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mower County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- 1860 - 1949 Minnesota, County Marriages, 1860-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Mower County Marriages
Societies and Libraries
Mower County Historical Society
1303 6th Ave. SW
Austin, MN 55912
Mower County Genealogical Society
PO Box 145
Austin MN 55912-0145
Mower County Historical Society
PO Box 804
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Mower County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Mower County GenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Family History 101 - My Minnesota Genealogy This site has information on Winona Co. and where to find county records.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mower County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.