Morgan County, Utah Genealogy
The Morgan County, Utah genealogy guide to find parents, birth, marriage, death, and more since 1852, when the county was formed. This page lists online, published, and original resources, such as cemeteries, censuses, church, court, land, probate, and obituaries.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent counties|
|Morgan County, Utah|
Location in the state of Utah
Location of Utah in the U.S.
|Founded||January 17, 1862|
|Address|| 48 W. Young St.|
Morgan, UT 84050
|Named for: Elder Jedediah Morgan Grant|
- 1 Helpful Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church History
- 2.7 Churches and Religious Groups
- 2.8 Court Records
- 2.9 Directories;
- 2.10 Ethnic and Other Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Gazetteers
- 2.13 Genealogy
- 2.14 Guardianship
- 2.15 History
- 2.16 Land and Property
- 2.17 Maps
- 2.18 Migration
- 2.19 Military
- 2.20 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.21 Newspapers
- 2.22 Obituaries
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
- 2.25 Probate Records
- 2.26 Public Records
- 2.27 Resource Repositories
- 2.28 Taxation
- 2.29 Vital Records
- 2.30 Voting Registers
- 3 Towns and Communities
- 4 References
Morgan County Courthouse
48 West Young Street
Morgan, Ut 84050
County Clerk has marriage records from 1888, divorce and court records from 1896 and probate records from 1869. County Recorder has land records.
|Before the county was created—and perhaps until the newly-formed county was fully operational—search records of the parent counties.|
Neighboring CountiesMorgan County, Utah Genealogy is surrounded by: Davis | Rich | Salt Lake | Summit | Weber
- Biography Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Morgan County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Business Records and Commerce
- Cemeteries(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Morgan County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Morgan County Cemeteries at the Utah State Historical site
- Croydon Cemetery, Croydon
- Milton Cemetery, Morgan
- Mountain Green Cemetery, Morgan
- North Morgan Cemetery, Morgan
- Peterson Cemetery, Morgan
- Porterville Cemetery, Morgan
The 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 U.S. federal population schedules of Morgan County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Utah Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in national indexes, try checking local indexes. Created by experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide indexes.
See Utah Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Church History Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Morgan County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Churches and Religious Groups
- Church Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Morgan County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
Click a church unit name in the chart below for its history, boundaries, and availability of records, which are often in microfilm format
|Morgan County, Utah Genealogy guide to history and records of LDS wards and branches|
Stake(s): Morgan Stake, Utah
Ethnic and Other Groups
A History of Morgan County online at Marriott Library Digital Archives.
An early route of the Hastings Cutoff ran through the Morgan Valley and down through a narrow gorge in Weber Canyon. The Donner Party avoided going through the Morgan Valley in order to speed up their journey. However, their alternate route proved more time-consuming.
NOTE: Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Wikipedia for Morgan County.
Land and Property
Herdsmen branded their cattle to keep track of stray animals. A 1913 directory displays the marks used by various Morgan County, Utah Genealogy cattle owners:
Early migration routes to and from Morgan County, Utah Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Naturalization and Citizenship
Small town newspapers contain obituaries, birth or death notices, community news (such as the visit of someone's relatives), legal notices and provide historical content. See Utah newspapers for tips, resources, and details.
Obituaries may mention birth, marriage, spouse, parents, and living family members. See Utah Obituaries for state level compendiums and United States Obituaries for tips and insights regarding this record type.
Obituaries for residents may be found in:
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
In Utah, such records may be difficult to find. Try records of the church they may have attended. Realize, however, that such records may have not been preserved, and would not be in the typical records of membership.
It is possible there were records kept by civilian authorities. Ask town or county officials and local librarians and the State Archives. Also try National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (online).
County seat: Morgan
Family History Centers
search parent counties
1862 - 1897
Utah Death Certificates 1904 - 1956 -A free internet access to the 1904-1956 death certificates can be viewed at Family Search . Utah requires a death certificate before a burial is completed. A death certificate may contain information as to the name of the deceased, date of death, and place of death, as well as the age, birthdate, parents, gender, marital status, spouse and place of residence. More information at Utah Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Utah State Burial Index for death before 1904
Death Record Substitutes
Towns and Communities
Croydon | Devils Slide | Monte Verde | Morgan | Mountain Green | Peterson | Richville | Stoddard