Moody County, South Dakota Genealogy
Moody County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Moody County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Moody County Courthouse
101 E Pipestone Ave; PO Box 152;
Flandreau, SD 57028
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905,
burial and land records; County Treasurer has marriage
records from 1873; Clerk Court has probate records from 1890,
court records from 1905, divorce records, newspapers from 1880’s 
- Lincoln County, Minnesota
- Pipestone County, Minnesota
- Rock County, Minnesota
Moody County Cemetery Database: Courtesy of the Moody County Historical Society, South Dakota
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- Records of Hegre Lutheran Church, Colman, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Moody County, South Dakota, p.627
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).