Montague County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Montague County has had four courthouses: 1858, 1879, 1885 and the current courthouse built in 1912.
Montague County Courthouse
County Clerk - Glenda Henson
P.O. Box 77
Montague, Texas 76251
Montague County Government Website
Inventory of county records, Montague County Courthouse, Montague, Texas, 1975 by James E. Riney. Inventory of records housed in the Montague County Courthouse in Montague, Texas.Describes the records of the County Clerk, District Clerk, County and District Attorney, Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor-Collector, Sheriff, Treasurer, Auditor, and County School Superintendent. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
The first Ango- American settlers arrived in 1854. French and Spanish were in the area as early as 1719.
1873--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire in February 1873.
Places / Localities
- History of Montague County, 1913, by Mrs. W. R. Potter, a history of Montague County, told through anecdotal accounts covering events that span from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
- Montague Texas History from The Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).