Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy
|Monmouth County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Monmouth County Courthouse|
Main St Hall of Records
PO Box 1251
Freehold, NJ 07728
Phone: (732) 431-7324
Monmouth County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Directories, History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 County Histories
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Deed Records
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military History and Records
- 4.12 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.13 Newspapers (County)
- 4.14 Probate Records
- 4.15 Slavery and bondage
- 4.16 Societies
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Societies, Repositories and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has marriage records 1795-1892 and land records from 1667.
County Surrogate has probate records. 
1675: part of East Jersey
1 March 1683: Created from the Colonial lands. 
1710: boundary changed
1822: water boundary established
1844: part from Middlesex County
1850: Ocean County created from Monmouth and boundary clarified in 1851. 
1866: water boundary further clarified
1906: coastal boundary established
1928: part of Howell twp. to Ocean County
1939: part of Middlesex gained.
List of communities in Monmouth County as listed by ePodunk
Freehold, Fair Haven, Asbury Park, Aberdeen, Manalapan, Millstone, more places...
Camp Charles Wood | Fort Monmouth | US Naval Weapons Station Earle
- Monmouth County Historical Association Library, Carol Fisher Megill and Beverly Seward Yackel 
See also: Genealogy, History
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey : comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with historical sketch of each county, 1896, Samuel T. Wiley  
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey : comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with historical sketch of each county, 1896, Samuel T. Wiley (FHLC Fiche 6046405)
- Book of the dead of Monmouth, (1915-1917) (FHLC Info) (Family History Archives)
- Early courts and lawyers of Monmouth County : beginning at its first settlement, and down to the last half century, 1911 (FHLC Film 1697650 Item 3)
- History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, 1885 (FHLC Fiche 6046349) (FHLC Book 974.946 H2e 1974)
- History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, 1664-1920 (FHLC Book 974.946 H2h V.1-2)
Please refer to Populated Places for cemeteries within their localities.
Church Directories, History and Records
Existing churches in Monmouth County, New Jersey
- Contains the church records of:
- Long Branch: Simpson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
- Contains the church records of:
see also: Biography, Genealogy
See also: Biography, History
Land and Deed Records
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Red Bank Register
The Red Bank Register is a free online historical newspaper, covering Red Bank, New Jersey and surrounding areas in Monmouth County. The following is from their website explaining publication dates and the Digitization Project.
"The Red Bank Register is captured on microfilm covering 1878 to 1964 as the Red Bank Register and 1964 to 1991 as the Daily Register. The Digitization Project was a collaborative effort between Middletown Township Public Library and the Red Bank Public Library. Because of the size of the collection, the digitization of all the microfilm was broken down into two phases. The first phase covers June 27, 1878, to December 26, 1923. The second phase covers January 2, 1924, to November 13, 1991, the final issue of the Red Bank Register."
The Independent: 1972-2000 Courtesy of the Matawan - Aberdeen Public Library
The Matawan Journal offers online access to its back issues printed from 1869 through 1973. Provided by the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library.
The Independent offers online access to its back issues printed from March 1972 through March 2000. Provided by the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library.
- Administrators Bond
- Applications for Probate
- Inventories (guardianship)
- Inventories (Estates)
- Letters of Administration
- Partitions of Real Estate
- Petitions for Administration
- Real Estate bonds
- Receipts and Discharges
- Records of Wills
- Recorded Wills
- Sale of Real Estate
Slavery and bondage
- Black births
Societies, Repositories and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Monmouth County Historical Association
- The Monmouth County NJGenWeb Project, a member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Monmouth County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Monmouth County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Monmouth County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Monmouth County, New Jersey page 464, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- "FHLC Book 974.946 D2me v. 1-2" (Freehold, New Jersey : Monmouth County Historical Association, c1990-2004).
- "FHLC Film 1425604 Item 1" (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the GSU, 1985).
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey, comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with an historical sketch of each county (Philadelphia: Biographical Pub. Co., 1896), [FHLC Film 1425604 Item 1 and Fiche 6046405 ].