Difference between revisions of "Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy"
(CW Data from Excel)
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
Revision as of 01:55, 8 November 2013
Monmouth County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Monmouth County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Monmouth County Courthouse|
Main St Hall of Records
PO Box 1251
Freehold, NJ 07728
Phone: (732) 431-7324
Monmouth County Website
- 1 Monmouth County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 2 Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Resources
- 2.1 Bible
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 MIgration
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Occupations
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.21 Probate Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Schools
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 3 Monmouth County, New Jersey Web Sites
- 4 Monmouth County, New Jersey Neighboring Counties
- 5 Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy References
Monmouth County, New Jersey Historical Facts
1675: part of East Jersey
1 March 1683: Created from the Colonial lands. 
1710: boundary changed
1822: water boundary established
1844: part from Middlesex County
1850: Ocean County created from Monmouth and boundary clarified in 1851. 
1866: water boundary further clarified
1906: coastal boundary established
1928: part of Howell twp. to Ocean County
1939: part of Middlesex gained.
Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Resources
- Monmouth County Historical Association Library, Carol Fisher Megill and Beverly Seward Yackel 
See also: Genealogy, History
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey : comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with historical sketch of each county, 1896, Samuel T. Wiley  
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey : comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with historical sketch of each county, 1896, Samuel T. Wiley (FHLC Fiche 6046405)
- Book of the dead of Monmouth, (1915-1917) FamilySearch Books Online; (FHLC Info)
- Early courts and lawyers of Monmouth County : beginning at its first settlement, and down to the last half century, 1911 (FHLC Film 1697650 Item 3)
- History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, 1885 (FHLC Fiche 6046349) (FHLC Book 974.946 H2e 1974)
- History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, 1664-1920 (FHLC Book 974.946 H2h V.1-2)
Please refer to Populated Places for cemeteries within their localities.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about denominations, view the New Jersey Church Records wiki page.
Existing churches in Monmouth County, New Jersey
- Contains the church records of:
- Long Branch: Simpson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
- Contains the church records of:
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
See also: Biography, History
Local histories are available for New Jersey counties. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section New Jersey Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See New Jersey Land and Property for information about New Jersey Proprietary land records. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Civil War Regiments. Service men in Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy:
- - 48th Regiment, New York Infantry, Company H.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Red Bank Register
The Red Bank Register is a free online historical newspaper, covering Red Bank, New Jersey and surrounding areas in Monmouth County. The following is from their website explaining publication dates and the Digitization Project.
"The Red Bank Register is captured on microfilm covering 1878 to 1964 as the Red Bank Register and 1964 to 1991 as the Daily Register. The Digitization Project was a collaborative effort between Middletown Township Public Library and the Red Bank Public Library. Because of the size of the collection, the digitization of all the microfilm was broken down into two phases. The first phase covers June 27, 1878, to December 26, 1923. The second phase covers January 2, 1924, to November 13, 1991, the final issue of the Red Bank Register."
The Independent: 1972-2000 Courtesy of the Matawan - Aberdeen Public Library
The Matawan Journal offers online access to its back issues printed from 1869 through 1973. Provided by the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library.
The Independent offers online access to its back issues printed from March 1972 through March 2000. Provided by the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library.
Probate records created after 1852 are held by the Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Probate Court. From 1797 or the creation of the county, probate records were held by the Court of Common Pleas. Most counties transferred all records to the Probate Court, but in some circumstances, Court of Common Pleas records should be searched for records prior to 1852. Most records are housed at the Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Courthouse. Some records are on microfilm at the Ohio Genealogical Society and the Family History Library. For more complete information about the location of county probate records see:
See the wiki page New Jersey Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (1867-1908 only).
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
New Jersey, Middlesex County Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Administrators Bond
- Applications for Probate
- Inventories (guardianship)
- Inventories (Estates)
- Letters of Administration
- Partitions of Real Estate
- Petitions for Administration
- Real Estate bonds
- Receipts and Discharges
- Records of Wills
- Recorded Wills
- Sale of Real Estate
County Clerk has marriage records 1795-1892 and land records from 1667. County Surrogate has probate records. 
Family History Centers
New Jersey tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information see the wiki page New Jersey Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the New Jersey Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. Original marriage records are usually held at the county Bureau of Vital Statistics.
Monmouth County, New Jersey Web Sites
- The Monmouth County Historical Association
- The Monmouth County NJGenWeb Project, a member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Monmouth County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Monmouth County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Monmouth County
Monmouth County, New Jersey Neighboring Counties
Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- "FHLC Book 974.946 D2me v. 1-2" (Freehold, New Jersey : Monmouth County Historical Association, c1990-2004).
- "FHLC Film 1425604 Item 1" (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the GSU, 1985).
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of the Third congressional district of New Jersey, comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset counties, together with an historical sketch of each county (Philadelphia: Biographical Pub. Co., 1896), [FHLC Film 1425604 Item 1 and Fiche 6046405 ].