Difference between revisions of "Modoc County, California Genealogy"
(added county map)
(added probate intro)
|Line 97:||Line 97:|
=== Newspapers ===
=== Newspapers ===
=== Probate Records
=== Probate Records ===
=== Repositories ===
=== Repositories ===
Revision as of 17:56, 27 June 2013
Guide to Modoc County California genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Modoc County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1874|
|Address|| Modoc County Courthouse|
] 204 Court Street
PO Box 131
Alturas, CA 96101-0131
Modoc County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Land and Property
- 4.14 Maps
- 4.15 Migration
- 4.16 Military History and Records
- 4.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.18 Newspapers
- 4.19 Probate Records
- 4.20 Repositories
- 4.21 Societies
- 4.22 Taxation
- 4.23 Vital Records
- 4.24 Voting Registers
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
County Clerk has divorce, probate, court and voter regisitration records from 1874
County Recorder has birth, marriage and death records 
For tips on accessing Modoc County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Applegate Trail since 1846 (avoided the Forty Mile Desert) by leaving the Humboldt River in Nevada early at present-day Rye Reservoir, Nevada and passing through the Black Rock Desert to Fandango Pass past Goose Lake on to the Lost River and eventually the Willamette Valley in Oregon
- The Lassen Cutoff 1848 was established by gold rushers from Oregon going to California. It branched off the Applegate Trail at Davis Creek, went through Devil's Garden to the Pit River passing east of Mt. Lassen, and turning west to Lassen Rancho, California, and from there to Sacramento. In some years as much as 1/3 of emigrants mistakenly took the Applegate Trail-Lassen Cutoff, a much longer and more difficult trail than the Truckee or Carson routes.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Modoc - Probate records.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Alturas California Family History Center
- Cedarville California Family History Center
- Modoc County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Modoc County, California. Page 85 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).