Mitchell County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Mitchell County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The first settlers arrived in 1875.
1876--Mitchell County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District.
1881--Mitchell County was organized 10 January 1881.
County seat: Colorado City 
Places / Localities
Buford | Colorado City | Loraine | Westbrook
- Mitchell County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mitchell County, Texas. Page 670 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handbook of Texas Online: Mitchell County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcm15
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).