Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Mitchell County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mitchell County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Mitchell County Courthouse
Crimson Laurel Way Admin Bldg
P O Box 82
Bakersville, NC 28705
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and probate records from 1861
and Court records from 1912 Regiser of Deeds has marriage and land records 
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1907--Several records believed destroyed during move into new courthouse. For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- 1861-1969 - Mitchell County Marriage Index 1861-1969 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Mitchell County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mitchell County, North Carolina. Page 511 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.