Missouri Territory in the War of 1812
During the War of 1812, the Missouri Territory supplied 1,556 cavalry men. On the map of the Upper Mississippi River: (1) Fort Bellefontaine, U.S. headquarters; (2) Fort Osage, abandoned 1813; (3) Fort Madison, defeated 1813; (4) Fort Shelby, defeated 1814; (5) Battle of Rock island Rapids, July 1814 and the Battle of Credit Island, September 1814; (6) Fort Johnson, abandoned 1814; and (7) Fort Cap au Gris and the Battle of the Sink Hole, May 1815.
Explanation of the Major Record Types
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
- Ancestry. War of 1812 Service Records. ($). This database gives name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge of men mustered into the armed forces between 1812 and 1825.(Accessed 11 May 2012).
- Missouri. Adjutant General's Office. Military Records, 1812-1904, has records related to: (1) the Seminole War of 1837; (2) Mexican War; (3) War of 1812; (4) Mormon War; (5) Civil War; (6) Iowa War; (7) Heatherly War; and (8) Black Hawk War. Records alphabetical by surname, but not always in strict alphabetical order within each letter. Indexes are included. 214 films starting with film 1204650
A soldier may have been recorded in state records (see below) or in federal records (see US War of 1812 Pension Records).
- Fold3. Missouri War of 1812 Pension Files . (Free). Alphabetical by surname. Shows the entire pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 Jun 2012.
- War of 1812 Pensioners, Missouri: Transcribed from Government Printing Office Material, 1883. (Gregath Publishing Company, Eastern Division, 1983). 222 pages. FHL 977.8 M2wp
- McGhee, Lucy Kate: Missouri Revolutionary Soldiers, War of 1812, and Indian Wars-Pension List. 53 pages. Logan, Utah FHC book Mo M24M
- WorldCat. Military Land Warrants in Missouri, 1819: An Alphabetical Index of Missouri Patentees. (Reprint:1858). Lists the date, name of patentee, land warrant number, regiment, and land description. WorldCat gives location of printed copies. No digital copy currently available.
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.
- Wikipedia contributors, caption for map of The Upper Mississippi River during the War of 1812, in the Wikipedia article, War of 1812,(accessed 31 May 2012).