Resources for Missouri Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
The State Historical Society of Missouri -- in the collection are Missouri newspapers from about 1800, and card indexes by name and subject to some of the early papers. The Society and the Family History Library also have several published abstracts and indexes of obituaries and marriages from 1808 to 1870.
St. Louis Public Library - list of newspapers owned by the Library in its microfilm collection; covers 1808-2008.
Digital Issues Online
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Missouri newspapers online. This database is free at some libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Daily Missouri Republican, 1861-1865 - via the State Historical Society of Missouri
- Missouri Historical Newspapers Online - via the Online Historical Newspapers Directory
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Obituary Index - created by the St. Louis Public Library. Index covers obituaries, death notices, and burial permits. Years indexed thus far include: 1880-1930, 1942-1945, 1960-1961, 1992- present.
- St. Louis Argus Index -- an African-American newspaper;index created by the St. Louis Public Library. Years indexed include 1915-1927, 1942-1945.
- Westliche Post Obituary Index - (St. Louis German-language newspaper) Years indexed: 1879-1890.
- William H. Taft, Missouri Newspapers, When and Where, 1808-1963 (Columbia: University of Missouri, 1964; Family History Library book 977.8 B3t). Find In A Library