Missoula, Missoula County, Montana Genealogy
Missoula (i /mɪˈzuːlə/) is a city located in western Montana and is the county seat of Missoula County. Missoula was founded in 1860 as Hellgate Trading Post before being renamed Missoula Mills ("Missoula" from the Salish name for the area, "Nemissoolatakoo", and "Mills" after the prosperous flour mill and sawmill that served as Missoula's first industry). "Mills" was dropped from the name and in 1877, the establishment of Fort Missoula ensured the survival of the city.
- 1 City Hall
- 2 Resources
- 3 Cemeteries
- 4 Church and Church Records
- 4.1 Baptist
- 4.2 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 4.3 Episcopal Church
- 4.4 Presbyterian Church
- 4.5 Roman Catholic Church
- 5 Directories
- 6 Funeral Homes
- 7 History
- 8 Newspapers Current and Historical
- 9 Societies
- 10 Libraries and Museums
- 11 Websites
The Missoula City Hall at 435 Ryman Street, Missoula, MT, 59802, Phone # 406-552-6000, TTY 406-552-6131 . First City Hall was built in 1887 on the corner of West Main and Ryman.
University of Montana
Missoula, Mt., 59801
Missoula County Courthouse
200 W Broadway, Missoula, Mt. 59802, 406-721-5700
2000 Cemetery Rd, Msla, Mt, 59802,
- Wedsite: Missoula.Mt
St Mary's Cemetery
641 Turner St, Msla, Mt 59801, 406-543-7951
Sunset Memorial Crematory Cemetery and Funeral Home
7405 Mullan Way, Msla, Mt, 59808, 406-549-2857
Church and Church Records
Bethel Baptist Church
160 S 6th St, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406-721-2780
3020 South Ave, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406-830-3168
Emmanuel Baptist Church
4907 Blue Mountain Rd, Msla, Mt, 406-251-6874
First Baptist Church
308 W Pine St, Msla, Mt, 59801, 406-549-4555
Open Door Baptist Church
135 Knowles St, Msla, Mt, 59801, 406-728-5562
Trinity Baptist Church
3020 South Ave, Msla, Mt, 59801, 406-543-5636
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Help getting historic records about Members.
Missoula 1st Ward
3201 Bancroft St, Msla, Mt, 406-543-7535
Missoula 2nd Ward
3050 South Ave, Msla, Mt, 59808, 406 549-1846
Missoula 3rd Ward
3050 South Ave, Msla, mt, 59808
Missoula 4th Ward
3201 Bancroft St, Msla, Mt, 406-728-0480
Holy Spirit Parish
130 S 6th St E Msla, Mt, 59801, 406-542-2167
First Presbyterian Church
201 S 5th St, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406-549-5144
Roman Catholic Church
Blessed Trinity Catholic Community
1475 Eaton St, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406-721-2405
Christ the King Church (University-Newman Center)
1400 Gerald Ave, Msla, mt, 406-728-3845
St Francis Xavier Church
420 W Pine St, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406- 542-0321
Spirit Of Peace Alternative Catholic Community
506 Toole Ave, Msla, Mt, 59802, 406-549-3324
Current churches and the Historical.
The following are spotlights of the major historical events that have had a lasting effect on the Missoula area.
September 4, 1805 The valley's first residents, the Salish Indians had their first encounter with the Caucasian race when a party of 400 met up with the Lewis and Clark Expedition just south of what is now Darby, Montana. The Salish people treated them well and showed great kindness, not only to Lewis and Clark, but to settlers who would follow.
July 4, 1806 During the expedition's return trip, Meriwether Lewis and his party passed through what is now Missoula, stopping to camp along the Blackfoot River, approximately eight miles east of Missoula.
1860 The Washington Territorial Legislature created Missoula County, with the county seat "temporarily located at or near Worden & Co. Trading Post in Hell Gate Ronde." Hellgate was the site of the first settlement in the Missoula Valley, located approximately four miles west of the current downtown. It was an ideal location as it was the crossroads for north-south and east-west travel.
1864 Worden & Co. erected a saw mill and grist mill on the river four miles east of Hellgate. In 1865, they moved their store to the new location called Missoula Mills (now the north end of the Higgins Ave. bridge). The construction of the mill marked the beginning of Missoula as we now know it.
1869 Emma Stack (Dickenson) was hired as Missoula's first teacher.
1870 Missoula first newspaper, "The Missoula and Cedar Creek Pioneer", went to press.
1873 The first Higgins Ave. bridge was constructed. St. Patrick Hospital was opened.
1877 Fort Missoula was established. The first Fire Department was organized
1878 A Library Association was formed.
1879 The first telephones were installed.
1883 A charter for the Town of Missoula was approved by voters and formed as an aldermanic form of government. Frank Woody was elected as the first mayor. The Northern Pacific railroad arrived.
1884 The first telephone exchange was opened.
1887 First City Hall was constructed at the corner of W. Main and what is now Ryman St.
1889 Montana became a state. Electricity arrived to Missoula. Electors voted in favor of re-incorporating Missoula as a city.
1890 First horse drawn street cars went into service.
1894 The Missoula Public Library was opened.
1895 The University of Montana opened with 50 students enrolling on the first day.
1908 The U.S. Forest Service Office was established. Missoula experienced its worst natural disaster - the flood that washed away the Higgins Ave. bridge.
1910 First electric street cars went into service.
1911 The second City Hall was opened at 230 Woody St. The City adopted a commission-council form of government. Eugene Ely took off in his Curtiss Biplane on June 25, 1911, from the ballpark at Fort Missoula, the City's first aviation event.
1913 The first plane flew into Missoula (from Milltown).
1917 Missoula's Jeanette Rankin was sworn in as the first woman elected to the United States House of Representatives.
1920 The City opened its first public swimming pool.
1947 Community Hospital was opened. Juliet Gregory was elected the first and only woman mayor.
1948 Parking meters were placed into use.
1954 President Eisenhower dedicated the Aerial Fire Depot. The City Fire Department relocated from the old City Hall to its new headquarters at the corner of W. Pine St. and Ryman St. The City's form of government changed to commission-manager.
1959 The City returned to an aldermanic form of government.
1961 Missoula voters approved a $2,657,000 bond issued to build Missoula's sewage treatment plant. The plant was operational by 1964.
1969 The current City Hall at the corner of W. Spruce and Ryman St. was completed.
1970 Mayor Shoup resigned as Mayor to begin his successful campaign for the U.S. Congress.
1977 Mayoral and Council elections were changed from May to November and increased from two-year to four-year terms.
1979 Last passenger train left Missoula.
1995 New City Fire Headquarters (Station 1) was opened at 625 E. Pine St.
May 1995 After four years of a huge volunteer effort, the Carousel for Missoula opened its doors to the young at heart.
November 1995 The City electorate approved a $5 million Open Space Bond for the preservation of open space natural areas in and around the City.
June 1996 Charter form of government was approved by the City of Missoula electorate.
January 1, 1997 Missoula City Charter went into effect.
Newspapers Current and Historical
Missoulian: 500S Higgins, Missoula, Montana, 59801 1-800- 332-6212
Missoula Independent: 115 S 4th St, Missoula, Montana, 59801 1-406-543-6609
Newspaper archieves can be found at Missoula Public Library in their Montana Colection.