Miranda California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Address: 250 School Road, Miranda, CA -- 1/4 mile from Avenue of the Giants (road is next to South Fork High School)
We are about 70 miles south of Eureka, California, highway 101 to highway 254, Myers Flat exit from the north and Miranda exit from the south.
- Thursday 2-8 pm
- Saturday 1-4 pm
- Other hours by appointment, please call either Mary Whitmore 707-943-3403 or Marling (Mynty) McReynolds 707-223-0641.
- Holiday Schedule: Closed on Holidays that fall on Thursday or Saturday and other days as needed.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
Updates on collections and other materials will be forthcoming as we update this site.
We have the Rhode Island Genealogical Register volumes 1 & 2, 2nd edition, revised 1986 plus the RI Registers through 1996.
These Registers include 23 hard bound books and 24 paper bound registers, all listing names, dates, ships, towns, family lines and stories from Rhode Island. The first 20 volumes (including the soft covers and 12 hard cover) are the Rhode Island Genealogical Register plus 5 volumes on vital records of Washington county, 2 volumes on East and West Greenwich counties, 4 volumes on New Port county vital records. These records date from the 1590 forward to 1930.
The Stovall Family Journals published quarterly from 1992 to present
These journals include such things as: queries; in memory of articles; missing Stovalls; cemetery records; and more. This is a great resource if you find the Stovall name in your family.
Basics and Equipment
Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
- One computer for on-line work and one for off-line work with various software programs.
- One Reader/Printer for both microfilm and microfiche
- 4 microfiche readers
- 3 microfilm readers
- Beginning research, first family group sheet and pedigree help
- Beginning research on-line through familysearch and new familysearch, Ancestry.com, and other computer searches such as google.
- Individual help with sorting family stories and records already aquired but not necessarily understood.
Staff Research Specialties
Center Director, Mary Whitmore, specializes in Native American research, and has experience in Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and Tennessee research.
Consultant, Marling (Mynty) McReynolds, specializes in use of the computer especially Google searches, etc., and has also done a large amount of research in Colonial New Jersey as well as other colonies and Eastern Canada such as Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and Northern California especially Sonoma county.
Resources in the Local Area
- Humboldt County Library in Eureka, CA has the Humboldt Room, with genealogical and historic resources especially for this area.
- Humboldt County Libraries have access to the Sutro Library in San Francisco, which is an exceptional collection of genealogical materials.
Volunteer at the Center
If you live in the Southern Humboldt area of Northern California and need help with your research or wish to volunteer please come in or give us a call; Mary Whitmore 707-943-3403 or Marling (Mynty) McReynolds 707-223-0641.