Minnesota Genealogical Society
The Minnesota Genealogical Society
- 1 Benefits
- 2 History of the society
- 3 Society Officers
- 4 Society Projects
- 5 Publications
- 6 Newsletters
- 7 Collections
- 8 Events
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
Minnesota Genealogical Society member benefits include:
- Free entrance to the Minnesota Genealogical Society Library and Research Center.
- Subscription to Minnesota Genealogist, the quarterly journal of MGS.
- Online subscription to Minnesota Families, the monthly newsletter of MGS.
- Discounts at Society classes, workshops and conferences.
- Free participation in MGS Learning Groups.
History of the society
The Minnesota Genealogical Society was founded in 1969 to promote family history and help people with Minnesota connections find their ancestry.
2009-2010 Minnesota Genealogical Society Officers:
President: J. H. Fonkert
1st Vice President: Terry Kita
2nd Vice President: Jennifer de Fiebre
Treasurer: Valerie Morrison
Secretary: David Suddarth
Past President: Robin Panlener
FamilySearch Wiki Projects
The Minnesota Genealogical Society produces two publications for members and subscribers.
- Minnesota Genealogist -- a quarterly journal focused on genealogical education.
- Minnesota Families -- a monthly digital newsletter focused on current Society news.
The Minnesota Genealogical Society Library and Research Center houses more than 25,000 books, journals, microfilms, maps and other reference materials. Among the library's holdings are collections of the Irish Genealogical Society International, the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International, the Ostfriesien Genealogical Society of America, the Norwegian-American Genealogical Association, the Swedish Genealogical Society of Minnesota, the Pommern Regional Group, the Polish Genealogical Society of Minnesota, the Yankee Genealogical Society and the Canadian Genealogical and Heritage Society of Minnesota.
October 1-2, 2010 -- North Star Genealogy Conference, featuring Thomas W. Jones, CG.
The Board of Directors of the Minnesota Genealogical Society meets six times per year in January, March, May, July, September and November. The Society's governing documents can be viewed on the Society's website www.mngs.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. What are the directions to the society?
- Q. What are the society's hours of operation?