Minnesota State Census, 1875 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Collection Time Period
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Records
- 4 Record History
- 5 Related Web Sites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Sources of Information for This Collection:
- 8 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Collection Time Period
The official enumeration date of this census is May 1, 1875, and the census lists the inhabitants of the state of Minnesota as of that date.
The record is a printed form that was filled in by hand by the enumerator. The records are arranged by county and community.
These are the key genealogical facts found in the 1875 Minnesota State Census:
- Name of each individual in the household
- Individual’s age
- Individual’s gender
- Individual’s color
- Place of birth (state or territory if in the U.S., or country if foreign born)
- If the individual’s father and mother were foreign born
- If the individual served in the army during the Civil War
How to Use the Records
A census can provide you with names and ages of family members, which can be used to calculate birth or marriage dates. It can also provide the name of the county and town where your ancestor lived and the names of people living with the family. You may also find relatives who lived nearby. The census may identify individuals for whom other records may not exist.
State censuses were taken in Minnesota every ten years beginning in 1865 through 1905. Each census includes most individuals living within the counties enumerated.
Why This Record Was Created
The census was compiled to obtain a description and a count of the population of the state of Minnesota.
The information is generally reliable. However, use it with some caution, since the information may have been given to a census taker by any member of the family or by a neighbor. Some of the facts and figures may be incorrect or be inadvertently false.
Related Web Sites
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Sources of Information for This Collection:
Minnesota. State Library and Records Service. State Censuses 1865-1905. Digital images of originals housed in the State Library and Records Service, St. Paul, Minnesota.
The format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections, including how to cite individual archives is found in the following link: How to Create Source Citations for FamilySearch Historical Records Collections
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections
Please add sample citations to this article following the format guidelines in the wiki article listed above.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: Setpemper 29.2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B,line 71.
- Mexico, Districto Federal, Catholic Church Records 1886-1933, digital imagbes, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Femandez Jimenez, 1 Feb, 1910, San Pedro Apostol, Cuahimalpa, Districto Federal, Mexico Film number 0227023