Minnehaha County, South Dakota Genealogy
Minnehaha County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Minnehaha County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 5, 1862|
|County Seat||Sioux Falls|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Minnehaha County Courthouse
415 N Dakota Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57102
Clerk Courts has divorce, probate and court records from 1876;
Register of Deeds has marriage records from 1876, bith and death
records from 1905 and land records
1862--Minnehaha County was created 5 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Sioux Falls 
- Lyon County, Iowa
- Pipestone County, Minnesota
- Rock County, Minnesota
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
First Lutheran Church, Colton
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Colton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Olaf's Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Minnehaha County, South Dakota, p.627
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.