Mills County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Adopted by Mills County TXGenWeb
Mills County has had only two Courthouses. The first courthouse was built in 1890, the year after Goldthwaite became the county seat. The courthouse burned in 1912 and the present Mills County Courthouse was built in 1913.
- Mills County Courthouse
P.O. Box 483
Goldthwaite, Texas 76844
- County Clerk's Office - Carolyn Foster
P.O. Box 646
Goldthwaite, Texas 76844
- Mills County Government website
Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Mills County, no. 167. Inventory of records of Mills County housed in the Mills County Courthouse as of 1936. Digital book on line from The Portal to Texas History.
Inventory of county records, Mills County Courthouse, Goldthwaite, Texas, 1981. Inventory of records housed in the Mills County Courthouse in Goldthwaite, Texas. Describes the records of the County Clerk: as Secretary for Commissioners Court, County Clerk: as Recorder, County Clerk: as Reporter for County Court, District Clerk, Tax Assessor-Collector, Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, County Judge, and County Treasurer. Also provides an index. Digital book on line from The Portal to Texas History.
The first white settlers arrived in 1856 and established Hanna Valley.
Mills county was formed from Brown, Comanche, Hamilton, and Lampasas Counties in 1887. The county was named in honor of John T. Mills, a early Judge, who successively held the judgeship of the Third, Seventh, and Eighth Judicial districts. Mills county Court house is located in Goldthwaite, Texas. According to the Mills County Historical The town was named for Joe G. Goldthwaite, the railroad official who conducted the auction of town lots.
1912 -- The Mills County Courthouse, built in 1889, burned on May 5, 1912. No records were lost in the fire. 
Places / Localities
Mills County Seat - Goldthwaite
- Mills County Cemetery List - Mills County TXGenWeb
- TX Tombstone Project - TXGenWeb
- Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery Book (formerly known as the I.O.O.F. Cemetery). Available from the Mills County Historical Commission
- Mills County Cemeteries, 2004. (Excludes Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery) Book available from the Mills County Historical Commission
- Buffalo-Ebony Cemetery, Mills County, 62 page booklet, burial list updated Sept 2002. Available from the Brown County Historical Society
- Blanket Springs Cemetery in Mills County is included Rural Cemetery Inscriptions of Brown County Supplement updated 1970-2002. Available from the Brown County Historical Society
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
Churches of Mills County - Mills County TXGenWeb
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- 1895 Atlas - USGenWeb
- Historical Maps of Texas - Perry Castaneda Library
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Affidavit for Marriage 1893 - 1906 - Mills County TXGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
- Mills County Historical Commission
- Jennie Trent Dew Library - Goldthwaite
- Star Historical Museum Star, Texas
Family History Centers
- Mills County - Mills County TXGenWeb site
- USGenWeb Archives - Mills County
- Mill County Chamber of Commerce
- City of Goldthwaite website
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Family History Library Catalog
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mills County, Texas. Page 700 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com Goldthwaite, TX Mills County Courthouse Fire, May 1912 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/18203/goldthwaite-tx-mills-county-courthouse-fire-may-1912