Milford, Derbyshire Genealogy
Milford Holy Trinity is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1846 from Belper, DerbyshireEcclesiastical Parish and Duffield, Derbyshire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Makeney.
MILFORD, a village and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (S.) from Belper; the village containing 895, and the district 2100, inhabitants. The village, which is situated on the river Derwent, and on the road from Derby to Matlock, and is now a considerable place, consisted prior to 1781 of only eight houses. At that period Messrs. Strutt built a cotton-mill, and the firm has now a large cotton-manufactory and some extensive bleaching and dye works here: there is also an iron-foundry. These establishments afford employment to the greater portion of the population; about 1000 persons are engaged in the various branches of the cotton manufacture. Messrs. Strutt early built a handsome stone bridge over the Derwent, which is now a county bridge. The Midland railway passes through a tunnel here, half a mile in length, 22 feet wide, and 26 feet high. The ecclesiastical district was constituted in January, 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; its extent is about a square mile, of hilly surface: there are considerable stone-quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield, alternately. A church is about to be erected; it will be in the early English style, will seat 516 persons, and will cost £2024. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship, both of stone, the former built in 1842, the latter in 1825. A school is supported by the proprietors of the cotton-works.
From: 'Milford - Milthorpe', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 316-319. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51151 Date accessed: 14 March 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.