Midnight Mining Camp, Colfax County, New Mexico Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:16, 8 October 2010 by Claudiaj64 (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Location:                  4 miles northwest of Red River; .5 mile west of Anchor, now Taos County.

                                South of Cabresto Park in the Carson National Forest.

GPS:                         Latitude: 36.7639 N;      Longitude: -105.3528 W.

Elevation:                 10,535 feet (3,211 meters)

Map:                        Interactive Map. Midnight Meadows Trail topographic map, and trail map;

                               Midnight Mine map;

Photos:                    Midnight log cabin ruins and Deserted log cabins of the Edison Mill near Anchor.

                               pp153 in Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of New Mexico by James and Barbara


Post Office:              Established 1895 , discontinued 1898. 


Census Data:          1900 US Census complete enumeration for Midnight was Precinct 26 is as follows:

                                     Charles H. Brigham born August 1850, New York, watchman

                                     August M Ewing born November 1839, Kentucky, Gold and silver miner

                                     Alonzo D Parker born September 1863, Illinois, Gold and Silver miner.

                                      Dorathy Parker, wife, born December 1878, Colorado

                                      Victor C Parker, son, born May 1896, Colorado

                                      Wilmot A Brown born March 1878, Maine, Gold and Silver miner


High in the Cimarron Range, rests a handful of deserted log cabin ruins at the edge of pine forest clearing. The small crudely constructed buildings, mark the site of this short lived gold mining camp. This small burg was settled about 1895, when a post office was established. The claims that were worked in the vicinity were known as: Midnight, Memphis, Caribel, Edison, and Anchor.

Small investments and much hard labor yielded enough gold to sustain life in the camp for about 3 years. In 1897, the population of about 200 used the services of the Ellis & Co. General Merchandise Store. Hays & Co Blacksmith, and a justice of the peace.  Mail and passengers came 3 times a week from Catskill, 58 miles to the East. School was held for 3 months a year. The native gold and silver ore from the 4 producing mines was sent to Denver for treatment.

The lack of free milling ores and land litigation problems were the reasons for the abandonement of the town.  It is said that the decision to close the Midnight Mine was made so suddenly that 32 log buildings that were being built were left unfinished.

Family History Links:

1. Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of New Mexico, by James E. and Barbara Sherman. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman. 1974. Google Books.

2. Trails of Historic New Mexico: Routes Used by Indian, Spanish and American Travelers through 1886. by Hunt Janin and Ursula Carlson. page 108-109. Google Books.

3. The Ore deposits of New Mexico by Louis Carl Graton, Charles Gordon, page 89.