Michigan Territory in the War of 1812
During the War of 1812, the Michigan Territory supplied 534 infantry men and 22 cavalry men for a total of 556 men.
Fort Mackinac was in American hands at the beginning of the War of 1812. However, the British captured it June 17, 1812 and kept it throughout the war. For more information, see the Wikipedia article, Fort Mackinac.
Detroit was surrendered to the British on August 16, 1812.
Explanation of the Major Record Types
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
- Fleet, James Alvin, .Old and New Mackinac: with Copious Extracts from Marquette, Hennepin, La Hontan, Alexander Henry, and Others 1 microfilm FHL Film 1688867 on line. Digital Version archive.org
- Miller, Alice Turner Soldiers of the War of 1812, who died in Michigan (Ithaca, Michigan, 1962) pages 335. FHL Book 977.4 M23
- Sebring, Lorna D and Alice Turner Miller, Gratiot County veterans, War of 1812 (Ithica, Michigan 1997) pages 21 FHL Book 977.449 M2
- Ancestry. Michigan Military Records, 1775 - 1836,($) and War of 1812 Service Records.($). are two searchable databases that give name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge.(Accessed 11 May 2012).
- Google EBooks. List of Pensioners on the Rolls January 1, 1883 giving the name of each pensioner, ... Vol IV, (Free). (Washington, Government Printing Office, 1883). Under Michigan. Search pages 240-407 for pensioner, first by county and then by post office. Look for "1812" under "Cause for which pensioned". Also searchable by name online at Allen County Public Library.
- Fold3. Michigan War of 1812 Pension Files. (Free). Alphabetical by surname. Shows complete pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 June 2012.
- Michigan War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission features educational resources and activities, community events calendar, and historical details and timeline.
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.