Difference between revisions of "Michigan Periodicals"
(Remove some material I added and link to it instead.)
|Line 32:||Line 32:|
Revision as of 07:15, 13 December 2009
The major genealogical periodicals for Michigan are:
- Detroit Society for Genealogical Research Magazine. 1937–. Published by the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research, 5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202. (Family History Library book 977.4 C4de.) Volumes 1 through 30 are indexed.
- Family Trails. 1967–. Published by the State Department of Education, Michigan State Library, Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909. (Family History Library book 977.4 D25f.)
- Michigana. 1955–. Published by the Western Michigan Genealogical Society, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. (Family History Library book 977.4 B2m.) Some volumes are indexed.
- Michigan Heritage. 1959–73. Formerly published by the Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society, Kalamazoo, MI. (Family History Library book 977.4 B2mh.)
- Michigan Historical Collections. 1877–1929. Formerly published by the Michigan Historical Commission, Lansing, MI. (Family History Library book 977.4 H2m; films 844864–84; fiche 6051338.) Volumes 1 through 30 have printed indexes, available online. A 2nd edition or reprint of volumes 1 to 21 occurred from 1900 to 1913. All volumes of either the 1st or 2nd edition have been digitized and are available online. The collection is commonly called Michigan Pioneer and Historical Collections, although it never actually had that title. Volumes have been issued under various titles (Pioneer Collections, Historical Collections, Michigan Historical Collections, Collections of the Pioneer Society of the State of Michigan, and Collections: Report of the Pioneer Society of the State of Michigan...) and different publishers (Pioneer Society of the State of Michigan, Pioneer and Historical Society of the State of Michigan, Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society, Michigan Historical Commission). For more information, see "Michigan Pioneer and Historical Collections: A Research Guide," by the Michigan State University Libraries.
For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see the "Periodicals" section of the United States Research Outline.
Some Michigan periodicals are also indexed in:
- Quigley, Maud. Index to Family Names in Genealogical Periodicals. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Western Michigan Genealogical Society, 1981. (Family History Library book 977.4 A1 no. 307.)
Another useful source by the same author is:
- Quigley, Maud. Index to Michigan Research Found in Genealogical Periodicals. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Western Michigan Genealogical Society, 1979. (Family History Library book 977.4 D22qa.)
For more family history periodicals, look in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
MICHIGAN - PERIODICALS
MICHIGAN, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS