Mexico, México, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, México, Catholic Church Records, 1567-1970 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 Record Description
- 3 Record Content
- 4 How to Use the Records
- 5 Known Issues with This Collection
- 6 Related Websites
- 7 Related Wiki Articles
- 8 How You Can Contribute
- 9 Citations for This Collection
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Paroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de México, México
This collection contains baptism, marriage, marriage info, and death records from the state of Mexico includes the years 1567-1970. These records are written in Spanish.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, México, Catholic Church Records, 1567-1970.|
Baptism records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Names of the parents
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
- Sometimes, the person’s race
Confirmation records usually contain the following information:
- Child's name, age and origin
- Date and place of confirmation
- Godparents' names
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Marriage date and place
- Groom and Bride's names, marital status, occupation, age, origin and residence
- Groom and Bride's birth and baptism date and place
- Parents' names
- Witnesses' names, origin, residence, age, marital status, occupation and length of association with the couple.
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Name and age of the deceased
- Name of spouse and children
- Cause and date of death
- Burial location
How to Use the Records
Search the Collection
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|FHL Place Mexico, México items or FHL Keyword Mexico, México items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Mexico Archives and Libraries.|
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Michoacán is to the west, Querétaro to the northwest, Hidalgo to the north and east, Tlaxcala to the east, Distrito Federal in the center southeast, Morelos to the southeast, and Guerrero to the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- Estado de México
- Mexico Church Records
- Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, México, Catholic Church Records, 1567-1970." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Estado de Mexico (Catholic Church parishes, Estado de Mexico).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):