Difference between revisions of "Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy"
m (Text replacement - "<ref name="Handybook">" to "<ref>")
m (→Neighboring Counties: added genealogy to WV)
|Line 81:||Line 81:|
==== Neighboring Counties ====
==== Neighboring Counties ====
*[[Bland County, Virginia|Bland County, Virginia]]
*[[Bland County, Virginia |Bland County, Virginia]]
*[[Giles County, Virginia|Giles County, Virginia]]
*[[Giles County, Virginia |Giles County, Virginia]]
*[[McDowell County, West Virginia|McDowell]]
*[[McDowell County, West Virginia |McDowell]]
*[[Raleigh County, West Virginia|Raleigh]]
*[[Raleigh County, West Virginia |Raleigh]]
*[[Summers County, West Virginia|Summers]]
*[[Summers County, West Virginia |Summers]]
*[[Tazewell County, Virginia|Tazewell County, Virginia]]
*[[Tazewell County, Virginia |Tazewell County, Virginia]]
*[[Wyoming County, West Virginia|Wyoming]]
*[[Wyoming County, West Virginia |Wyoming]]
=== Resources ===
=== Resources ===
Revision as of 20:28, 8 December 2017
Guide to Mercer County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mercer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 17, 1837|
|Address|| Mercer County Courthouse|
P O Box 1716,
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 4.1 Populated Places
- 4.2 Neighboring Counties
- 4.3 Resources
- 4.3.1 Cemeteries
- 4.3.2 Census
- 4.3.3 Church Records
- 4.3.4 Court
- 4.3.5 Genealogy
- 4.3.6 Land
- 4.3.7 Local Histories
- 4.3.8 Maps
- 4.3.9 Military
- 4.3.10 Naturalization
- 4.3.11 Newspapers
- 4.3.12 Probate
- 4.3.13 Taxation
- 4.3.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 References
Mercer County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records from 1853; probate and land recrods from 1837; Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records from 1837
Early History of Mercer County
Official Blue Book of Mercer County, West Virginia by Charles B Hedrick
Welcome to Mercer County, West Virginia
Mercer County, West Virginia Discover America's Coal Story
Mercer County history : sesquicentennial year, 1987
Mercer County history, 1984
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Bland County, Virginia
- Giles County, Virginia
- Tazewell County, Virginia
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
For tips on accessing Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Harman - Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Johnston, Daniel E A History of the Middle New River Settlements and Contiguous Kinyon Digital Library
- Maps of West Virginia (1617-1995)
- Map of 1850 Virginia and West Virginia
- Mercer County West Virginia Map
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. See Virginia, Western District, Mercer County on page 135.
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.
Regiments. Service men in Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D (1st) (French's Company), Company E (Border Rangers) and Company H (Tazewell Troop).
- - 23rd Battalion, Virginia Infantry Reserves (Confederate). Company B (The Blue Stone Greys).
- - 24th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 26th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Edgar's) (Confederate). Company C.
- - 30th Battalion, Virginia Sharpshooters (Clarke's) (Confederate). Company A.
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company K.
- - 59th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company I2 (Princeton Guard).
- - 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (3rd Regiment, Wise Legion) (Confederate). Companies 2H (Richmond Light Guard) and I.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Mercer County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in West Virginia.
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph (Bluefield, West Virginia) at Ancestry.com ($)
- The New Daily Telegraph (Bluefield, West Virginia) at Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records: Birth, Death, Marriages
. Includes marriages 1854-1967 - free.
- Mercer County, West Virginia Death Records
- Deaths of Mercer County, West Virginia, 1853 through 1890
- Marriages of Mercer County, West Virginia, 1853 thru 1890
Societies and Libraries
Mercer Co Historical Society
P.O. Box 5012
Princeton, WV 24740.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Mercer County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Book One Western Virginia An old man's thrilling experiences in Mercer County.
- The New Dailey Telegraph
- Historic Bramwell, West Virginia
- Horton G Cowan
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mercer County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- J.L. Scott, 23rd Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1991). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 79.
- Ralph White Gunn, 24th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 34.
- Terry Lowry, 26th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1991). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 81.
- Michael West, 30th Battalion Virginia Sharpshooters (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1995). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 108.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.
- G.L. Sherwood and Jeffrey C. Weaver, 59th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 107.
- J.L. Scott, 60th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 130.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State