Menard County, Texas Genealogy
Menard County was named in honor of Michel Branamour Menard (1805-1856), who was an early settler of Galveston, Tx. Located in Central Texas, Menard County is on the edge of the Edwards Plateau and lies within the Colorado River basin.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Church
- 4.3 Court
- 4.4 Land
- 4.5 Local Histories
- 4.6 Maps
- 4.7 Military
- 4.8 Newspapers
- 4.9 Probate
- 4.10 Taxation
- 4.11 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county was awarded grant funds in 2004 from the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program. A major part of the renovation was completed in 2007 and county offices returned to the courthouse.
- Pictures of 1885 and 1931 courthouse - Menard TXGenWeb site
- History of Menard Co. Courthouse - Menard TXGenWeb site
The first permanent Anglo-American settlement was Menardville in 1867.
1858--Menard County was created 22 January 1858 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Menard 
Places / Localities
Ft. McKavett Cemetery
The Ft. McKavett Cemetery is located near the Ft. McKavett State Park. It was the original burial site for the soldiers of the Fort and residents of the McKavett Community. There is also a Catholic section of burials in this cemetery.
- Ft. McKavett Cemetery- Menard TxGenWeb site with information on burials. (partial listing)
- Ft. McKavett Cemetery Transcription - Located on Cemeteries of Tx, this transcription was the work of Frederica Burt Wyatt.
- Find-A-Grave for Ft. McKavett - Main page for Ft. McKavett Cemetery on Find-A-Grave. You can view all burials or search by name.
Garden of Memories Cemetery
A Catholic Cemetery for the town of Menard that was established around the early to mid-1930's.
Cemetery for the residents of the Hext community.
Little Saline Cemetery
Cemetery for the Saline Community.
- Little Saline Cemetery Transcription - from Cemeteries of Texas. History and burial information the work of Frederica Burt Wyatt.
- Little Saline Cemetery - Find-A-Grave listing of burials. Can be searched by name.
A family cemetery located on private property. It is also known as the Vaughan Cemetery.
Old Catholic Cemetery
This cemetery is also known as "The Decker Cemetery" and "Cleo Highway Cemetery".
This cemetery is also known as the Bihl Cemetery.
Pioneer Rest Cemetery
This was the original cemetery for the town of Menardville.
Rest Haven Cemetery
Rest Haven Cemetery is the newer cemetery for the town of Menard. It was established in the early 1930's when it became apparent that Pioneer Rest Cemetery was filled to capacity.
This cemetery is also known as the "Ellis Cemetery".
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
In 1903, it became mandatory to record births in Texas.
In 1903, it became mandatory to record deaths in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Menard County, Tx Death Index
Menard County, Texas Death Index sorted by surname from Menard TxGenWeb site (partial listing)
Societies and Libraries
- Menard News and Messenger of March 26, 1931
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).