Melverley, Shropshire Genealogy
In 1848 - MELVERLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Oswestry, N. division of the county of Shropshire, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Shrewsbury. 
The parish of Melverley originally formed part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph. However, following the disestablishment of the Anglican church in Wales in 1920, the parish was transferred to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The following records of Melverley are available on the IGI:
|Marriages||1724-1811 & 1815-1860||M006791|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1662-1860 Marr 1662-1860 Bur 1662-1860
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Melverley was part of the Atcham Registration District on its formation in 1837. On 1 Oct 1935 Melverley was transferred to the Oswestry Registration district.
Entries for births, marriages or deaths in Melverley will appear in the GRO Indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1934||Atcham|| XVIII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Oswestry|| 6a (1935-1946)|
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 287-291. Date accessed: 02 July 2012.