Difference between revisions of "Meigs County, Ohio Genealogy"
(Added cemetery online lists)
(Added other church repositories)
|Line 138:||Line 138:|
==== Census ====
==== Census ====
==== Church Records
==== Church Records ====
==== Court Records ====
==== Court Records ====
Revision as of 02:08, 27 April 2013
Guide to Meigs County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Meigs County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Meigs County Courthouse|
100 W. 2nd St.
Pomeroy, Ohio 45769
Meigs County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Athens and Gallia Counties 21 January 1819.
- County Seat: Pomeroy
- Neighboring Counties: Meigs County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Athens (north) · Hocking (northwest) · Mason County, West Virginia (south) · Jackson County, West Virginia (southeast) · Vinton (west) · Gallia (southwest) · Wood County, West Virginia (east)
See an interactive map of Meigs County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
For a list of cemeteries in Meigs County, OH, click here.
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Finding More Church Records
Additional church records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Meigs County, Ohio Genealogy Church Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
The following Civil War battle was fought in Meigs County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Ohio.
- - Civil War service men from Meigs County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Meigs County.
- - 116th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B and G
Naturalization and Citizenship
Meigs County Courthouse
100 E 2nd Street
Pomeroy, OH 45769
Probate Judge has birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from 1819; County
Recorder has land rec
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. USGenWeb Meigs County
- Family History Library Catalog
Cities and towns:
Alfred | Antiquity | Apple Grove | Bald Knobs | Bashan | Bradbury | Bucks Mill | Burlingham | Carpenter | Chester | Danville | Darwin | Dexter | Dorcas | Dyesville| East Letart | Eden | Five Points | Flora | Great Bend | Hanesville | Harrisonville | Hazael | Hemlock Grove | Hobson | Hobson Junction | Horner Hill | Joppa | Keno | Kingsbury | Langsville | Letart Falls | Lima | Lincoln Heights | Long Bottom | Meigs |Merritt | Middleport | Midway | Minersville | Mount Blanco | Nease Settlement | Oldtown | Flats | Pageville | Pinegrove | Plants | Point Rock | Pomeroy | Portland | Racine | Reedsville | Rock Springs | Rolandus | Rushville | Rutland | Salem Center Shade River | Silver Run | Snowville | Spiller | Success | Sumner | Syracuse | Tuppers Plains | Valley Ford | Welsh | Welshtown | Wolfpen
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Meigs County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)